Examples please; How does the WTS 'bait and switch' after Baptism...?

by The Song Remains The Same 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Song Remains The Same
    The Song Remains The Same

I was wondering if there is a list already on here that presents the key 'game changers' or 'bait and switch' points that will happen once you get baptised? This can include behavioral changes by the already members towards the newly baptised.

I've read somewhere about the 'love bombing' and how that stops, heard a bit about the time-in-service reporting, and that pressure to attend the meetings goes up (esp. if missing a few). There are doctrinal points that are not so transparent to pre-baptised-JWs, like GB = FDS = single-mediator, shunning (esp. family members as the FAQ on jw.org carefully steps around that), etc.

So, what would you list as the key points that will change, or will become known, to someone once they become baptised?

i.e. What don't they tell you, even in the small print?

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

I was bombarded with it's the END.. any day.... AHHH AHHH!!!

Then the day of Baptism the guy who got the "credit" for studing with me slapped me on the shoulder and said, " NOW YOU HAVE TO ENDURE"

HE explained that 'That's what his guy told him!"

So at that moment everything changed .. and now the end wasn't quite as NEAR.. and I NEEDED to tone it down.. on the END stuff.. I felt totaly manipulated ..

IT was like WTF.. I was out less than 3 years later

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

When I was baptized in 1979, I was never told that I would have to OBEY the GB. I didn't even know there was one, until later. I was also baptized to the Father, Jesus & the holy spirit thru the bible.

But I do know what everyone means about the 'love-bombing'. After your baptized then the elders start in with the meeting attendance, the way you dress, hubby's sideburns, not enough FS time, etc. Then if you ever do anything to be marked as a 'trouble-maker' they mark you as such and really don't want anything to do with you.

Hubby and I have only had 5 shepherding calls in the 33 years that we've been baptized!

My daughter Gojira_101 and her hubby have been married 3 years now and haven't had any yet.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Baptism vows up to 1985 were as follows:

"Have you repented of your sins and turned around, recognising yourself before Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his son Jesus Christ?"

"On the basis of this faith in God and his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening Holy Spirit?"

Therefore our allegience was to Jesus Christ, Jehovah and The Holy Spirit and NOT to any Organisation and that thinking is still uppermost in our minds.

**** These questions, or vows, were changed in 1985 to the following: *****

"On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?"

"Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, in association with God's spirit-directed Organisation? Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in the right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism."

Bible

Matthew 28:19

"baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit" Acts 2:38 "let each one of YOU be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ"

Watchtower

"[Baptised] as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?"Watchtower 1985 Jun 1 p.30

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

In the 2000 tract, What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Believe?, a seemingly comprehensive list of beliefs is provided to inform new and interested ones about the faith of Jehovah's Witnesses. The following 32 beliefs are outlined:WHAT JEHOVAHS WITNESSES BELIEVE

Bible is Gods Word and is truth

Bible is more reliable than tradition

Gods name is Jehovah

Christ is Gods Son and is inferior to Him

Christ was first of Gods creations

Christ died on a stake, not a cross

Christs human life was paid as a ransom for obedient humans

Christs one sacrifice was sufficient

Christ was raised from the dead as an immortal spirit person

Christs presence is in spirit

We are now in the time of the end

Kingdom under Christ will rule earth in righteousness and peace

Kingdom will bring ideal living conditions to earth

Earth will never be destroyed or depopulated

God will eliminate present system of things in the battle at HarMagedon

Wicked will be eternally destroyed

People God approves will receive everlasting life

There is only one road to life

Human death is due to Adams sin

The human soul ceases to exist at death

Hell is mankinds common grave

Hope for dead is resurrection

Adamic death will cease

Only a little flock of 144,000 go to heaven and rule with Christ

The 144,000 are born again as spiritual sons of God

New covenant is made with spiritual Israel

Christs congregation is built upon himself

Prayers are to be directed only to Jehovah through Christ

Images should not be used in worship

Spiritism must be shunned

Satan is invisible ruler of world

A Christian ought to have no part in interfaith movements

A Christian should keep separate from world

Obey human laws that do not conflict with Gods laws

Taking blood into body through mouth or veins violates Gods laws

Bibles laws on morals must be obeyed

Sabbath observance was given only to Israel and ended with Mosaic Law

A clergy class and special titles are improper

Man did not evolve but was created

Christ set example that must be followed in serving God

Baptism by complete immersion symbolizes dedication

Christians gladly give public testimony to Scriptural truth

A student is expected to accept every doctrine on this list before receiving permission to become one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Although the presentation and wording of the list of teachings differs slightly from one piece of literature to the next, it is, in effect, a creed, because conformity to its tenets is required. And yet it does not end here. After persons becomes associated with Jehovah's Witnesses, they are exposed to other doctrines, which are not highlighted to the general public, and yet which are also required.

In a "Questions from Readers" column in the 4/1/86 Watchtower, the organization provides a list of doctrines that a person must adhere to in order to remain in good standing among Jehovah's Witnesses. The list includes more controversial doctrines not found in the list above. Two significant ones are:

That there is a "faithful and discreet slave" upon earth today entrusted with all of Jesus earthly interests, which slave is associated with the Governing Body of Jehovahs Witnesses.

That 1914 marked the end of the Gentile Times and the establishment of the Kingdom of God in the heavens, as well as the time for Christs foretold presence.

( it is interesting to note that what, arguably, are two of the most critical doctrines that JWs are expected to believe are not included in the list for baptismal candidates. Since they are that important, excluding them from the list is highly deceptive! Also of note is that two critical beliefs necessary for "acceptance" by Jehovah and His "organization" are also the most controversial and cannot be proved scripturally without huge stretches of the imagination).

It is common for these particular teachings not to be advertised to newly-interested persons, because they are the most difficult to accept. Yet, as the article asserts, adherence to these doctrines is essential to remain in good standing.

• The Song Remains The Same
    The Song Remains The Same

@NotShirley - do you know if a candidate gets to see the baptismal questions beforehand, and thus already knows he/she is getting associated to an organization and not Mr Christ himself?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I was baptized under the pre-1985 vow and I do not recall the Elders specifically highlighting them.

These vows are printed in the literature, so it is not as if they are treated as "secret"; however, students are not made aware of the importance of question #2 and that their dedication is, in reality, to the Organization.

It's the Organization's dirty little deception. See my second post for more details.

Perhaps a member here that has gotten baptized recently can comment on whether or not the vows were highlighted to them prior to their baptism.

Ironically, the WT article that published the two questions/vows said this:

* ** w85 6/1 p. 30 Subjecting Ourselves to Jehovah by Dedication ***

Decision Based on Knowledge

Likewise this year many thousands are contemplating the step of baptism during the “Integrity Keepers” Convention that will be held in many locations worldwide. Before reaching this point of baptism, all candidates have carefully reviewed with congregation elders the Bible’s principal doctrines and guidelines for Christian conduct to make sure they really qualify for baptism.

As my second post pointed out, a newly baptized person learns of the real importance of certain key doctrines only AFTER their baptism, which they must accept without question if they want to remain a Jehovah's Witness. Now that they are officially a JW, dedicated to the Organization, they have no choice but to accept the doctrines or suffer the wrath of the Watch Tower, disfellowshipping.

• Splash
    Splash

The baptismal questions are in the publications so anyone can see them.

They are also in the Organisation book (p.215) and these are discussed with the baptism candidate once they are approved for immersion.

Splash

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

The book, WHAT DOES THE BIBLE Really TEACH ? explains it this way:

Remember, too, that you have made a dedication to Jehovah God himself, not to a work, a cause, other humans, or an organization. Your dedication and baptism are the beginning of a very close friendship with God—an intimate relationship with him. —Psalm 25:14. - p. 183, para. 24

So to tell someone they must obey an organization after they are baptised is a huge bait and switch, as well as being corrupt and dishonest.

• Emery
    Emery

AndDontCallMeShirley thank you for pointing these references out! *marked*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit