Coincidence?

by Blttex 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Blttex
    Blttex

Since I started actually reading the bible about three years ago I have found the similarities between the Pharisees and the Society to be amazing. Tell me your thoughts on this example or others you've come across.

(Acts 4:13-20) When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus. But since they could see the man who had been healed standing there with them, there was nothing they could say. So they ordered them to withdraw from the Sanhedrin and then conferred together. “What are we going to do with these men?” they asked. “Everyone living in Jerusalem knows they have performed a notable sign, and we cannot deny it. But to stop this thing from spreading any further among the people, we must warn them to speak no longer to anyone in this name.” Then they called them in again and commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John replied, “Which is right in God’s eyes: to listen to you, or to him? You be the judges! As for us, we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.”

• Gopher
    Gopher

The Pharisees made long lists of rules. The Watchtower Society's Governing Body lives to make rules. The Pharisees look down on the common people among their followers. Favoritism is rife in the Watchtower Society.

It's little wonder the Watchtower loves the restrictions set out by the apostle Paul. He left the Pharisees, but in some ways the Pharisee didn't leave him.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

I had these thoughts as a teen sitting in the KH but thought there was something wrong with my thinking.

• Suraj Khan
    Suraj Khan

I'll just leave this here.

• Gopher
    Gopher

^^ Jesus goes ape-shit.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I wouldn't call the basic WT-Pharisee similarity in and of itself a coincidence, just a similarity. What's an interesting coincidence is that the Witnesses are not only Pharisaical, but quasi-Judaic in their beliefs, nearly rejecting the Messiah in order to emphasize YHWH, and emphasizing works over faith and "undeserved kindness" over grace.

• Londo111
    Londo111

The Pharisees would be shocked at how far the Watchtower has taken the ball and run with it. Not even they would have gone as far as they folks in Brooklyn.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Consider the similarity between how people who were "unclean" were treated to the modern day disfellowshipped.

http://womeninthescriptures.blogspot.ca/2012/04/woman-with-issue-of-blood.html

http://www.thestoryofjesus.com/part4_34.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit