An old friend

by pontoon 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• pontoon
    pontoon

40+ yrs ago when I moved into this congregation's territory I became good friends with a brother in the congregation, about 20 yrs older than me and about mildest, most easy going person you could meet. He was just full of old fashion country style common sense, taught me a lot about country life, like heating with firewood, (yes, there is a lot to know about cutting and heating with wood), taught me how to skin and cut up deer, he would help anyone who needed help........., so about 30 yrs ago he was DF'd. We would occasionally bump into each other, I would NEVER NOT say hello, but him knowing I wasn't suppose to talk to him he would (and I) just move on. Well, we bumped into each other today in town in a convienence store. We said hello and I kept on talking. I could see in his face how he relaxed when he realized I was not about to cut it short and walk away. Talked about 10 mins. He's 80 yrs old now and looks about 50. I'm sure he has no idea I am no longer a JW. End up telling him to stop by my house and he said he would, (I'm sure he will). Anyway, had to share, it made my day.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Awwww, Pontoon. That's GREAT! I'm sure your friend will be truly grateful for the companionship after all these years. :)

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I'm so happy for you -- and for your dear friend.

• just Ron
    just Ron

It's so great to hear you reconnected with your old friend!

• John Locke
    John Locke

That is really great!!!

• Quendi
    Quendi

What a wonderful story, pontoon, and thanks so much for sharing it. I’m sure you made your friend’s day much happier by extending human love and kindness. That future visit will be a joyful one as well and I wish you and your friend every happiness as you reconnect.

Quendi

• Ding
  • cult classic
    cult classic

such a nice story.

• Mum
    Mum

It's great when you meet up with someone after a long separation and pick up as if you just saw them yesterday. Good for you!

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

If he doesn't come to you, seek him out... He sounds like a real nice person, he may hold back not wanting you to get punished as he was.

What a gent, maybe take him some Bear Grylls Dvd's lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit