Reason

by dissonance_resolved 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• dissonance_resolved
    dissonance_resolved

So as someone newly awakened, my thoughts have turned to "why didn't I see this sooner? How could I be so blind?" Part of it is that I never realized anyone may have left due to differences with the doctrine. Apostates were the crazy people with signs yelling at us outside the district convention venue, behind the barricade of loving, friendly brothers who would protect us from their evil influence. I assumed that the people I knew who left had drifted away due to materialism, or got a worldly boyfriend and succumbed to desire, etc. None of those reasons had anything to do with me or ever caused me to question my beliefs. Now if someone that I knew and respected were to one day, completely out of the blue, DA themselves, I would take notice. I would wonder why. (If I was at the meeting that day, which is questionable.). I wouldn't believe it was because they had committed some "disfellowshipping offense" but rather that they must have a darn good reason. I'm weighing this as I consider my exit strategy. I know the ultimate result will be shunning by my family. But should I leave with a blaze or a fizzle?

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

But should I leave with a blaze or a fizzle?

Don't burn any bridges you can't rebuild with your family. Fu#K the rest of the borg drones. My mom and sister have told me it will be different now that I have left but I didn't get DF'd or DA'd. I faded and am learning not to go into details about how I now feel with them. Unless you don't care about hurting your relationships with the family, I would recommend fizzling out. If you go out with a bang you will just look like one of those "crazy" apostates you spoke of. Good luck.

• Ding
    Ding

Consider yourself successful if you are able to help anyone.

Sad to say, most of your JW "friends"' respect for you will end the moment you openly question the GB or the moment when the announcement is made that you are "no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses."

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

why didn't I see this sooner? How could I be so blind?

I felt the same way. I was born in and baptized at 13 and left at 27. Some of us wake up faster than others. I wish I could have those years I wasted back but I wouldn't change the outcome, where I am now. Now, my kids will have the upbringing that I never had...Bdays, holidays ect.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Do you have familly in "the truth" that you would miss" If so, you might want to fade.

If not, go ahead and DA.

• dissonance_resolved
    dissonance_resolved

Yes, my whole family is still in. Is it just prolonging the pain for them and me, though, as I gradually show up less and less? I've already experienced that they avoid me when I'm not doing well and "reward" me with further association when I am at meetings or FS. I guess I need to keep my impossible end goal in mind, that I could not be a JW and still be able to call my mom on a Friday night and fill her in on the week.

• earthfire
    earthfire

I would suggest fading too. No reason for a "blaze of glory" here. You never know who you may cause to question the WTBTS for themselves if you go about leaving in the most cool headed way.

• pbrow
    pbrow

Its a tough decision to make and I cant fault anyone for staying in for a certain amount of time. I look at family like my mother and think, if you just turned in your da letter other people would take notice.... and I really they would. Tricky situation for sure.

Good luck,

pbrow

• Twitch
    Twitch

just drop off the key, lee

and set yourself free

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Part of the problem with exiting JWs is that they think they need to explain themselves. Or fade slowly for some reason.

Just quit.

Who has success when quitting cigarettes? Weaners, or cold turkey?

Leave and never look back. Offer no excuses, no reasons.

Name. Rank. Serial number.

Your relationship with "GOD" if you believe in him is yours, and yours alone. Nobody has the right to intrude or mediate that relationship.

After a few months, or a year, they will quit bothering you. Just get through it, and for God's sake, don't DA because a group of delusional men living in Brooklyn demand that you do so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit