Lincoln

by slimboyfat 14 Replies latest social entertainment

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I saw a movie about this guy, it won awards. He was a bit like Jesus huh? Lincoln, so I gather from this film. In that people approached him for wise counsel and he dispensed it in an authoritative manner. And when he spoke at gatherings others would stop and listen to his parables. And he struggled with an awkward family, and the all-too-human protagonists around him. And he was killed at the climax of his mission. And he was mourned and legends grew.

It was also refreshing, if a little confusing, to see the Republicans on the right side of history and the moral debate for once.

This Stevens character looked interesting. A Radical Republican? I bet he was fun, the sneaky old fox.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

My son went to see it over the weekend with some friends and really enjoyed it.

• poppers
    poppers

I think Lincoln would be embarrassed by today's Republican Party.

• cedars
    cedars

I've heard good things about the film. I'm looking forward to watching it.

Cedars

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I liked it. But be warned it is very long on talking and short on action. I found Lincoln's accent annoying too, and as I say he eerily resembled Jesus at times.

• Ding
    Ding

Lincoln was killed on Good Friday, too.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

He was shot on my birthday.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

What is different about the parties today? The democrats are still holding the country hostage with the race issue and pitting the lower classes against eachother while getting filthy rich. The republican party while flawed and human is still the only party that understands the rights of individuals no matter what their race or class.

Same song, different dance....that's all.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Do Americans think of him as a sort of national Messiah?

His portrayal really struck me, but maybe this is just how Americans see him.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

No we don't think of him as a National Messiah, however he is seen as up there with Washington as our greatest co-presidents. Lincoln fought tooth and nail to keep the country from ripping it self apart over slavery and while it was bloody, painful, and difficult... In the end the country was able to stay unified.

The slavery issue festered since day one in this country and the it popped like an ugly boil during his term.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit