Punishment for not shunning?

by davidsf 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Honeybucket
    Honeybucket

There is always exceptions to the rules though. Especially if you are a large donater then you get alot more leway than the lowly poor ones. A elderly couple in the hall I am forced to attend are allowed with elder approval to talk to the DF'd daughter. She even comes and stays with them when she comes to town on business.

• Honeybucket
    Honeybucket

also, how many people get df'd then get reinstated and then stop going to meetings? my SIL did this many years ago. She got DF'd but because she had nowhere to go and had a baby she asked her parents if she could live with them. They agreed as long as she went to meetings again, when she got reinstated and married to her baby daddy she moved out of her parents house and stopped attending the meetings or field service. she talks the talk though. I asked my MIL, her mother, if she shunned her daughter when she was df'd, she told me she did and if she hadn't she would not have "returned to jehovah" I think its because she was desperate for a place to live, and that she wanted to talk to her family again. Amazing

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Just curious, has anyone written regarding these scriptures that the branch uses to support their communal shunning requirements, under threat of shunning?

• davidsf
    davidsf

That WT reference is over 20 years old. What's the latest "new light" on the matter? Does it make any difference between disfellowshipping vs. disassociating? I should have said disassociating. I disassociated myself to get to stop trying to get me back to meetings. I'm not ready to go back. I didn't do anything wrong, and I still believe EVERYTHING the Society teaches. :) What will happen to my JW relatives if they associate with me?

• recovering
    recovering

If anything the recent direction from the wtbs is even more inflexible. You will find yourself in an JC if you associate with those who are DF or DA'd. This is what they didfellowshipped Ray Franz for btw

• jam
    jam

I know about a case where the brother was a elder.

He was told to stop associating with his son, who he loved

dearly. His son was DF. He refused to do so and was removed

as a elder. Was a close friend, we served in the missionary work

togather. He loved his kids, good for him.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

The 'Shepherd' book is from 2010, so it's up-to-date. But the local elders set themselves up as judge, jury & executioner; so what would happen in reality is anyone's guess.

• talesin
    talesin

transhuman, thanks! I just got sneered at last week for suggesting that is why my cousin is shunning me (even though she is inactive). My parents both said that is NOT the rule and I was just being nasty or crazy.

That quote from the Shepherd book is exactly what I needed.

***king hypocrites!

tal

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

That's great, Talesin! ...except that mere mortals like us aren't even supposed to know that the book exists. Makes it kinda hard to quote from...

• talesin
    talesin

My dad has it (he has an EXTENSIVE library dating back to the Bible Students, which he would like to sell - I gotta get working on cataloguing it), AND knows I have access to dig up information on line, so I will just grab the book from his library and point it out to him when my mom is not around (she's the fanatic), just to explain that I didn't appreciate him rolling his eyes and treating me like I'm stoopid. He and I get on pretty good, so he'll get the point.

:D

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit