Caleb is back! in The Case of the Almost Stolen Lollipop

by sd-7 10 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

I just happened to wander past my stepdaughter as she was watching some JW videos this morning before school, and I noticed a 'Lesson 4' video, about not stealing. Hopefully it's YouTube'd already and someone will post a link, I can't do it at the moment.

The plot is simple. Caleb's in the grocery store, and his mom just tells him [off-camera] 'No candy today.' They're about to leave, and then Caleb sees this massive stack of giant, circular lollipops, all glittering and all--even a little comedic heavenly chorus thrown in that moment. So the thought hits him, oh, I can just take (steal) it, and he gets a devious look on his face and looks like he's about to stuff this lollipop under his shirt.

(How he planned to get away with hiding such a large lollipop is beyond me, given that his mom would surely notice [and the candy would die as Sparlock had, at least if he'd already licked it or something], but he's just a kid, so...maybe he hasn't thought that far ahead.)

In that moment, the memory of reading 'Learn From the Great Teacher' pops into his head (and onto the screen). He's sitting in bed with the book open, and hears his father's voice asking him something like, 'Can you be Jehovah's friend if you steal?' He shakes his head. 'Do you want to be Jehovah's friend?' He nods. Thus, the memory stays his thieving hand and he puts the lollipop back and leaves the store.

I don't see anything wrong about teaching kids not to steal, it's a pretty universal moral value, so I'm not feeling too critical of this one. Except using the literature rather than the Bible to underscore the point, same as in the Sparlock video. I think kids could also stand to learn that human society also has laws against stealing, and that the police can arrest you for stealing. Perhaps a concept like 'superior authorities' is a bit much, though, for the very young. But hopefully we have more reasons to avoid stealing than just wanting friendship with God. It creates major problems for everyone when people steal--burdens on the police and courts, higher prices and annoying security measures in stores (you know, stuff is locked up like it's in prison so you have to get someone to unlock the case for the product), and the heartache it causes the victims of thievery.

Guess it beats the 'Pray Anytime' song, but I admit I was a little creeped out by Caleb's devious face. It actually scared me a little. But we're just getting to know this little kid. Perhaps we shall assume that the same 'school friend' who gave him Sparlock also taught him it was okay to steal? Sure, why not? Sounds easy enough.

--sd-7

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

My only issue is HOW they teach, certainly it would be appropriate to reason on the morality of stealing, treating neighbor as self, how would you feel if someone stole from you ... with JW it's all about "you want to be Jehovah's friend don't you?" which at the core says ... soon, Jesus is going to kill everybody who isn't Jehovah's friend, you don't want to be killed ... do you?

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I don't see anything wrong about teaching kids not to steal, it's a pretty universal moral value, so I'm not feeling too critical of this one.

That's funny, because I was actually disgusted by it! When you understand the biblical concept of grace, this video flies in the face of it. When Caleb thinks of taking the lollypop, he thinks of his dad saying, "If you steal, will you be Jehovah's friend?" The implication is that God will not be your friend if you do something wrong.

This isn't new to the WT. I keep thinking of the "Keep yourselves in God's Love" book. The implication of this book is that if you don't follow all of what they say in it, God will not love you. The book talks about Masturbation. So if you masturbate, God will not love you?

The WT does not understand grace AT ALL. They only know works based salvation. They can't even bring themselves to use the word "Grace". They have to down play it with the term "Undeserved Kindness". The focus is that you are not good enough to be kind to. Or to love.

I think all should watch the video again, and see if they can see the sly way the WT shows salvation by works. And if you do something wrong, "Jehovah" will not be your friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PKe29BdKco

• sd-7
    sd-7

I see your point, Christ Alone--black-and-white reasoning here. I suppose the point you're aiming for is, you don't have friendship with God because you don't steal (or murder or fornicate or what have you), you have it because Jesus died so you could have it. The avoidance of bad things like stealing is the result of one's friendship with God, not the other way around. Am I right?

--sd-7

• Mum
    Mum

So, Jehovah will still be your friend if you molest a child, but not if you steal a lollipop!

Jehovah needs to get his priorities straight, and make videos that teach right and wrong without threats of withdrawal of affection.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

WT sure didn't put much effort into this. More like the usual "_____ makes Jehovah sad" type of sound-bite rather than an actual lesson. WT is still a long way from anything as catchy, creative, and educational as Schoolhouse Rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODGA7ssL-6g

And even Sesame Street is lightyears ahead of WT on accurate teaching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZhEcRrMA-M

WT doesn't even know the difference between "near" and "far" as clearly explained by Grover in this clip from ... 1975 !

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

I think they are going too far by insinuating Caleb won't be Jehovah's friend if he steals a lollipop. That is a lot of pressure on a child to behave properly just so he can remain friends with God. What if parents were that conditional?

Like wannabefree was saying, there are better ways at teaching children moral lessons.

Putting this much pressure on a child can cause problems for them later down the road, like anxiety, low self-esteem, etc. Just ask me! Lol

• wasblind
    wasblind

The WTS need to make a video about Caleb's mom

and how she owe Caleb's classmate a new doll

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

The point of the video is not to teach the virtue of honesty, rather the virtue of obeying the org. It's obvious.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I think they should make one showing how important it is for Caleb's mom to render her due.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit