Jackass?

by Marvin Shilmer 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

If he didn't care what he was called, why insist on "Judge"? Especially since he wasn't actually a judge anyway, but only served ONCE in an emergency situation. I do like the idea of referring to him from this point forward as Jackass J.F Rutherford. He said it... and apparently he didn't care. Although with the temper we all know he had, I don't think calling him jackass Rutherford would have gone over too well for a bethelite.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“I don't think calling him jackass Rutherford would have gone over too well for a bethelite.”

I was told a few months back by someone active with Witnesses at the 1941 St. Louis convention that Rutherford got angry about the article published of his history without labeling him as “Judge”. I inquired how this came about and was told when the article above was first published by a St. Louis newspaper that his photo was not tagged with “Judge” and this really upset Rutherford. At the time I didn’t know of the original article and is why I went on to research and find it.

As it turns out, what I was told was true insofar as the original article publication by the St. Louis Globe Democrat. Neither the headline nor the photo tag used “Judge”.

The article clipping imaged above is from a day or two later in a different newspaper, which made sure to place “Judge” in the otherwise identical headline and photo tag. My source had told me this was a result of Rutherford giving the local newspaper grief. He wanted "Judge" to be used.

Yet Rutherford claimed his title did not matter to him. Yeah. Right. That’s why he made sure to plaster “Judge” all over himself for public discourses. Right?

Marvin Shilmer

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

hey, you want to muse on something for a moment that is sure to impel a harsh reflex of one type or another, imagine if this guy was alive today in 2013 walking around and talking like he did?

• steve2
    steve2
    hey, you want to muse on something for a moment that is sure to impel a harsh reflex of one type or another, imagine if this guy was alive today in 2013 walking around and talking like he did?

Jackass was a product of his time and country, a man who was more American than anyone had the good sense to be and a man who had greater confidence in his quakery than even a plain fool could ever have.

Jackass bred an army of like-minded followers who gleefully put their foot in doors as they oozed unseemly conviction that the world teetered on the edge of an unprecedented end. Jackass ruled the local "companies" (as congregations were then called) and milked these hapless workers as if the future of the world depended on his special brand of religious exploitation.

These newly bred witnesses were not absolute victims; they themsevles were like Jackass their father: Loud, protesting, defiant, self-focused and self-interested defenders of their religious rights. They tore others' religious beliefs to shreds, mocking and deriding the churches of Christendom. They then cried foul when local communities turned on them. They revelled in and stirred up their own persecution. They were as far away from Chuck Russell as lofty spirit is from decaying flesh.

Upon seizing control of the nearly defunct Watchtower Society after World War 1, Jackass Rutherford left behind any claim to spiritual virginity: He spread his legs far and wide and gave yelp-like birth to literally thousands of like-minded organization-minded door knockers who could not see beyond 1925 when millions now living would never die.

More often than we may ever fully know, the organization perfected the practice of crushing underfoot any protest that was directed against itself. The individual men and women who suffered at the hands of Jackass and his minions is beyond calculation. This man spoke loudly about religious rights - but make no mistake: The only religious rights that mattered to Jackass Rutherford were those that protected his right to lord it over a swelling band of deluded and compliant door knockers.

How convenient - but necessary - that the sanitized, wimp-riddled breed of witnesses who today shuffle distractedly along the not-at-home laden streets and who cling like velcro to cafes - have virtually no knowledge of this hideous man-stench who ran the organization they today serve so mind-lessly. The man who etched his shoeprint into the weakened lower backs of hundreds of thousands of well-intentioned but deluded souls - and who themselves adopted by orchestrated resolution, his precious name, Jehovah's Witnesses - is now virtually unknown.

Jackass or Jehovah - some pinprick the difference. But if you thumb through the lumbering hate-filled pages of the rant-ridden Old Testament you will find a character who is eerily close in personality to Jackass: The One True God Jehovah.

With a reputation that reverberates across the decades into the current century, it is little wonder Jehovah needs as many witnesses as posible for his defence - but a fat lot of good they will ever do him - or he them.

• trujw
    trujw

"I occupy Bethsarim only by virtue of being president of the society, and succeeding presidents will be entitled to do the same." I guess that book he wrote on the remaining few months before Armageddon was bullshit. Freudian slip hmmm succeeding presidents? I guess he knew it was all lies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit