Don't e-mail DF'd family members - Congregation Reaction (WT 1/15/2013)

by 00DAD 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wolfman85
    wolfman85

I'm from Puerto Rico and culturally family ties are very strong and important. We like to do everything as a family. Maybe that's why the WT was more emphatic in Spanish.

• suavojr
    suavojr

Hey JWfacts! We spanish brothers always find ways to work around the rules...lol

They did not say 'no electronic form of communication' therefore I can still use whatsapp, facetime, and maybe I can go old fashion and send some post cards. But this was the hardest WT study for me to sit through after waking up!

• SophieG
    SophieG

Aww... Thanks Tiki!

00DAD: Actually I shared my analogy with a JW relative who's an elder (...I don't give a flip at this point....) I could almost HEAR his brain pop when he thought about what I said. Of course he DID NOT directly answer the question!

I wish I could have had that conversation with him sitting in the room looking at his child. It's a FEELING moment. I want him to FEEL the conflict that he would experience if that situation ever happened. I want him to realize A POLICY is a game changer and something is wrong with it. I would love to hear him try to clarify his point. But we all know HE CAN'T. To understand the double standard he would have to admit that the WT stance is wrong!

Would a loving God EXPECT you to desert an imprisoned child? As a loving parent you'd still support your child despite what wrong he did. So why do the RULES of loving that child, supporting that child, CHANGE when they commit a "sin" according to JW policy?

Things that make you go: Hmmmm......

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Could it be that this type of 'hate crime' from the WBT$ is beginning to grate on the R&F?

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

I hereby resolve to use MY FREE WILL to do whatever the Watchtower tells me to do!

Amen to that!!!

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

As an outsider, I'm appalled by such a declaration. The Watchtower cited I Corinthians 5:11 as justification for their unbiblical policy of shunning. So we look up I Corinthians 5:11 and find what Paul's admonition actually was:

I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— not at all meaning the people of this worldwho are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people. What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? G od will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.” (Deuteronomy 13:5)

Now this is a general admonition to the church, and is not given by commandment. In fact, most church authorities would take issue with the first portion of Paul's statement and admonish Christians to not associate with sexually immoral people who might sidetrack them from the path of righteousness. But "associate" means to "keep company with" or casual interaction with people such as working with them, doing business with them and so forth. You can't avoid it unless you leave this world. But people who profess to be Christians and are morally impure also are spiritually impure. But what do you do when most people profess to be Christians? You can't avoid everyone.

Ah, but this means members of "the Truth." Okay, but nothing about shunning is mentioned. Paul simply states that Christians should not associate with believers (adelphos) which is translated "brother or sisters" who are sexually impure or who are greedy, swindlers or idolaters. Again, this does not mean shunning! It means that Christians shouldn't keep company with those who meet certain criteria. And to meet this criteria, one must be a believer who is a " whoremonger, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner." Paul says nothing about a believer who doesn't accept certain doctrines, or a believer who has been disfellowshiped because of "apostasy" (as determined by the "faithful and discreet slave," who, if it is the Watchtower Society's Governing Body, definitively say they don't receive revelation from God; merely "light."). Further, the WTS says members shouldn't associate with non-members, or members of other religions. But Paul writes:

If an unbeliever invites you to his house for dinner , and you wish to go, eat anything he serves you without letting your conscience trouble you. ( I Cor. 10:27 )

So it is okay to befriend unbelievers. It appears that the WTS is taking positions that are grossly unscriptural.

----------------------

BTW: If Paul advises believers who go to dinner with unbelievers to "eat anything he serves you," I wonder if that includes blood pie?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit