The Apostate Boogeyman--a figment of JW imagination

by Londo111 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

Apostates are a figment of the JW imagination.

Not necessarily the dictionary definition of the word apostate, which simply means a person who leaves their religion, for by that definition everyone who leaves a religion to become a JW is an apostate--but the JW conception of the Apostate, both as an individual and as a 'group' is imaginary.

For starters, the Watchtower goes beyond the definition of merely leaving the religion, if a person disagrees with a doctrine or practice of the organization, even if they don’t voice it, that is a thoughtcrime called apostasy. The Watchtower meaning of Apostasy therefore includes heresy, dissension of any kind, and is designed in such a way to prevent schism and grassroots reformation.

The Watchtower does much to paint a horrific picture of those they label Apostate. Of course, Apostates are viewed as deceitful and cunning, if they aren’t speaking lies, they are speaking half-truths and facts that are misrepresented, out of context, and mischaracterized. They are viewed as wanting to draw a following after themselves. They are viewed as Persecutors who foment hate against JWs (therein lies a low threshold for Persecution—disagreement, even protests are not Persecution). Of course, they are considered hateful, angry, and bitter.

Since in Watchtower theology, leaving the Organization means “leaving Jehovah”, no matter how Christian a person who leaves is, how much they adhere to their conscientious understanding of the Bible, they have “left Jehovah”. Since when a person learns TTATT, they realize that concepts such as door-to-door, 1914, a single unified Organization being “the Truth”, the Faithful Slave, the Governing Body, and so forth are unbiblical, they are often characterized by things they no longer believe--but that then average person does not believe these things either.

When a person leaves their former religion and becomes a JW, they are viewed as humble and open-minded. When they criticize other religions or religion leaders, including their former one, it is viewed as zeal and boldness. However, no matter how conscientious a person is, if a JW does this toward Watchtower theology or leadership, or a former JW speaks of legitimate concerns, it is viewed as Persecution.

The Watchtower does much to enflame hatred. Of course, in the publications many decades ago did outright say that those they label “Apostates” must be hated. A quick perusal of the online library finds all manner of hate speech:

“characteristics similar to those of the Devil”

“poisoned by a critical attitude”

“Like their father, Satan, apostates target people of integrity”

“Their methods reveal a cunning spirit.”

“corruptive ideas.”

“counterfeit words,”

“false arguments,”

“deceptive teachings,”

“twisting the Scriptures”

“do not have our best interests at heart”

“mentally diseased”

“no matter what apostates may say to the contrary, the real aim of intruders is to steal and slay and destroy.”

“beat their former associates”

“presumptuous”

“ravenous wolves"

Ironically, even false prophets: “If a close relative should prophesy falsehood in the name of Jehovah, that is, speak contrary to the Kingdom message”

With these derogatory statements in mind--i s it no wonder this Boogeyman exists in the JW mind? I don't think the Westboro folks could do any better in fomenting hatred!

Because those labeled Apostates must be shunned and there is no venue to express dissenting views or for those to air legitimate questions and concerns publicly—is it no wonder an “apostate” has to be careful or “subtle” in how they express themselves? If they legitimately believe the Watchtower is not teaching the truth and wants to reach family and friends with this message, what recourse do they have?

Of course, by the time the rank-and-file drinks this hate speech, they are drunk with paranoia, and see the Apostate Boogeyman in every shadow. The clichés and urban legends just exaggerate the one-size-fits-all stereotype of the angry, bitter Apostate who has nothing better to offer, and whose sole goal in life is to make them Doubt.

The word “apostate” becomes a thought-stopping technique. By labeling something “apostate”, they can file an argument away, and just walk away. The label “apostate” does not need to be proven…it is a substitute for proof. For instance, there are many instances where a JW will not look at an older publication (or even not so old) because the Apostate Boogeyman could have potentially doctored it. (Never mind it’s the Society that have been the ones doing revisions of thier own publications over the years, as well as revising and spinning their history).

Can they present proof of this ever happening? That such a person is only showing them nothing but what the Watchtower Society has stated? No! They don’t need to find proof. The rank-and-file is even more superstitious in regard to Apostates than they are in regard demons.

I remember discussion of why wireless mikes were being reconsidered in my congregation. One person mentioned that perhaps it could transmit outside the Kingdom Hall and apostates could be listening in. So what if they did? I found it a strange thought at the time.

Are we therefore Apostates? If by that term it means the Boogeyman stereotype that lurks in the JW imagination, NO!

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Beautiful breakdown!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

When JW`s leave the WBT$..

The WBT$ would like You to Believe

They Hide under your Bed!..

........................... photo mutley-ani1.gif . ..OUTLAW

• Londo111
    Londo111

Also for those few who are actually live up to the perpetually Angry and Bitter Stereotypes, the kind that protest outside the Memorial (aka certain individuals from Six Screens)…it is the Watchtower’s hate speech and shunning policy that has created them. When a person is robbed of their friends and family, when they discover the Watchtower has lied to them for years, decades even, anger is only natural! A minority might never work through it and may act out in ways that are unbecoming. I cannot help but think that the Organization’s hivemind rejoices in the few that actually live up to the Stereotype. Perceived persecution fuels the us/them delineation that only strengthens the Organization.

Of course, even when an “apostate” is quiet and unassuming, then they are accussed of being “subtle”. No matter how gentle the tone, nor how sound the reasoning, the Persecution Card is easily played.

And this is reinforced mindset the Society has created:

Pride/Arrogance = Disagreement with the Watchtower

Humility/Meekness = Conformity to the Watchtower

• sd-7
    sd-7
    One person mentioned that perhaps it could transmit outside the Kingdom Hall and apostates could be listening in.

Hate to break it to you, but...come closer....YOUR MEETINGS ARE PUBLIC! YOUR WEBSITE IS ON THE INTERNET! That kinda means everyone could be listening in if they wanted to. DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUN!!

Yeah, I think the way this term is used, if anything it sparked curiosity within me--what threat could such 'apostates' possibly pose to people who had 'the truth'? Why was the Society so afraid of them? Why did they never really debunk apostate ideas in the literature in detail, so as to protect the flock?

Because those labeled Apostates must be shunned and there is no venue to express dissenting views or for those to air legitimate questions and

concerns publicly—is it no wonder an “apostate” has to be careful or “subtle” in how they express themselves? If they legitimately believe the

Watchtower is not teaching the truth and wants to reach family and friends with this message, what recourse do they have?

Therein lies what is integral to making people dissatisfied with the organization--the dialogue is always one-way, top-down, and there's really only a set of pre-programmed responses to every situation. At a certain point, human beings start to want something other than pre-packaged nourishment, know what I mean?

There's no good reason to be angry and bitter all the time about it all. But when you see the reality, research it all for yourself, and see the very clear deception, yeah, you get angry, especially when you see how vigorously a lie can be defended by people who haven't figured it out yet. It's tough.

The other thing is...JWs are used to something being 'offered'. Thus they reason that, because of course there must be an organization that is 'the truth', logically apostates should have started their own gig.

First, if it's about Christianity, why reinvent the wheel? The religion's already been started, no need to start it over because nobody has it all right.

Second, to say the least, disproving a lie or several lies or exposing a false shepherd/false prophet--that is 'something'. As in any matter of merit where there could be some uncertainty, figuring out what's not true is at least as important as figuring out what is true. Sometimes you have to get past 7 lies to get to one truth. If you just relax and think you've already got all the truth, that's usually when you're in the most danger as far as spiritual things or any sort of pursuit. If you stop thinking, it's much easier for 7 new lies to sprout up and hide amongst the truths you've already found--complacency can be more dangerous than the lies themselves.

Good post.

--sd-7

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

great post, Londo

Eden

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I was terrified of apostates and even going on apostate websites. They did a great number on me and if it wasn't for the "badness" I discovered first hand within the KH I would probably still be in there.

I don't know what we can do to counteract their arguments other than what we are doing already.

The "apostates" I have encountered have all been far more supportive, loving and understanding than even one JW out of any congregations I attended.

You guys are the best.

• man oh man
    man oh man

Absolutely!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I agree Amelia, this place is the best ! and all I have met in real life who would be branded "Apostate" by the JW's have been lovely people.

I don't know either how to counter this bit of propaganda/brainwashing, but fight against it we must, it is one thing that stops so many from freeing themselves.

Even many who have been out for years physically are afraid of sites such as this, so still are imprisoned by the fear of Armageddon and that sort of nonsense, so sad.

The only thing I came up with when challenged by an Elder and his Elderette "Where are you getting all this stuff from ?" I couldn't say JWN, or even the Internet, knowing they would dismiss as Apostasy anything from such a source, so I said :

"Even if what you are told comes from a monster like Adolph Hitler, but it is true, that is what it is, the Truth, so the source does not matter".

They just sort of Hurrumphed without replying.

Great post Londo ! thanks !

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Londo111 - You have said what I have been trying to say for ages......except you said it better.

The 'apostate' ™ is an invisible enemy that doesn't exist other than in the mind controlled auspices of JW-land.

I was never afraid of 'apostates' ™ and wasn't afraid to talk to those that were supposed to be. I guess even when I was 'in' the disgusting cult my inner mind was trying to free me.

Thanks for expressing this important point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit