H2O Closing !!

by LeeHiker 27 Replies latest jw friends

• LeeHiker
    LeeHiker

Posted by Rick [Rick] on February 02, 2001 at 16:03:02 {LlYNVMoC0U3m1gkntx/MFMFBt36Xyc}:

Dear friends,

I received word from a friend who has spoken with INFONEX that all shell accounts at Cyberpass including H2O's will be terminated this coming Wednesday, February 7, 2001. All information on our site will be wiped clean on that date. They will not negotiate on the date, and cited "lack of interest in shell accounts" as the reason for no longer providing shell services.

THOSE WISHING TO ARCHIVE POSTS SHOULD NOT DELAY. All posts will disappear in 4 days.

Please contact everyone you know who is absent from H2O and tell them. If you know of those who might want to save posts for future reference, please email them at once so they have a headstart on pulling down posts. Posts exist from numbers 150000.html to 320000.html -- or 150,000 posts total. Some earlier posts in this sequence might have already been saved by the late WitnetObserver. I'm aware that Joseph Malik and others are also keeping archives. Someone with their email addresses could help by notifying them at once of the board closure next week.

I plan on archiving all board scripts, BUT NOT POSTS. If I have time I'll try to tar the whole mess, but I can't promise I'll do this. (If I do, I'll provide links in a post to the tar files.)

Then I plan on doing some serious reflection on whether I should participate in reopening H2O on another server. I'll ask Jehovah through his son Jesus Christ in prayer if this closure is His will, or if He wishes the board to continue elsewhere. I have not been in contact with Kristin, Sandman, or other founders as of yet to have a clue as to where they want to go with this.

Please help squelch rumors on other boards hereafter that are contrary to the simple fact that our ISP ha s decided not to provide shell service any longer. All shell accounts not only H2O are being closed next Wednesday. However, I will risk extreme speculation in stating I'm alarmed at the suddenness of the closure, and baffled they would not give my friend a reason for not giving the standard 15-30 days. H2O is generating many millions of hits a month and others have suggested our ISP cannot handle the traffic. Recent problems preventing the execution of archival scripts that create "threads" and their silence when asked to fix these problems seems to indicate problems of unknown origin.

All H2O services will remain open until they are abruptly disconnected or allowed to linger on Wednesday, 2/7/01 or anytime thereafter. However, I will act under the assemption that closure could happen anytime on Wednesday, and as a precaution I will deactivate posting scripts on Tuesday at midnight Pacific Standard Time. I'll leave the postings viewable after midnight until such time they cutoff our site, probably on Wednesday.

I'm going to miss all of you. I feel sad it has to end, but all good things come to an end at their appointed time. If it's Jehovah's will, H2O will be back on the air from somewhere in the world.

In the interim I recommend visiting NewLight2's board, which link I ask him to post. I also encourage others to create boards for the many voices throughout the world that need to be heard. I'm also open to suggestions on the board between now and H2O's closing of where we can anonymously continue H2O should we choose to do so. This is a great resource and I hate to see it end due to business reasons of our ISP having no bearing on our own journey.

I can be reached at [email protected] and also email to H2O will be forwarded to that address at usa.net for an undetermined period of time.

Christian Love,

Rick
    -------------------------------------------------
    I feel the thirst already,I need my H2O,looks like this
    board is going to get some new posters.
    LeeHiker

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Just getting in and reading this, I'd have to say it would be a shame if the archives were not accessible. I really couldn't care if h20 goes, something else will take it's place. But the comments in the archives would be a tragic loss.

Of course, from what i see, Rick is probably the most paranoid individual on the planet and all of his crisis predictions are "non-events". I assume this will also pass and h20 will be saved by some "miracle" and rick can give all "thanks to jehovah" (lol).

Otherwise, as hectic of a site as it is, it certainly has a valuable place for many associated or who were with Witnesses. And as much of a paranoid dreamer Rick is, his efforts i'm sure have been appreciated by many.

Path

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

H20 was the first place I found on the net back in Jan 1997 when I first typed in "Jehovah's Witnesses" in a search engine. I was at that time a "Hurting" Witness, lonely, doubting, wanting someone to listen when I reached out. I desperately needed a listening ear at that time,I needed some caring and reassurance, but also, some truthful answers. So I wrote to Liberal Elder. He never bothered to return an answer, and I knew by that, he was not a really caring individual, he was just out to serve his personal agenda. More of what the WTBTS is full of, just in another direction!

Over the years, I observed that H20 was mainly a fighting arena, not my cup of tea at all. Although we have received much good information from posts there, alot of erroneous info has come through that medium, too. And I don't think "Jehovah's will" has anything to do with that place. May it rest in peace. Simon's board is a MUCH better place!

RCat

• mommy
    mommy

Rcat,
    I am laughing out loud at your comment!!! I too have visited(didn't stay) I love the type of people at this forum MUCH better:)
    I just hope we can still remain if the trouble makers find their way here. I know I have not been very nice lately, sorry to all. But I do love the regular posters here and have learned and grown.
    So lets make a pact. We the curent posters will except all future posters and if they get out of line we will all gain up on em! Anyone for an amen? heehee
    wendy

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

Amen sister Wendy!!!! A Good swift kick in the pants to any rabble rousers. hehehe

"One Persons Heresy Is Anothers Truth"

• happytobefree
    happytobefree

Amen sister Wendy and to Roaming. When I read that H2O is closing down, the first thought that came to my head - I hope they start a new site and don't come to this one (at least not the nasty posters). I enjoy the spirit of this DB, open and free, yet not mean spirited.

Happy to be Free (Me)

• Simon
    Simon

Good grief !
    I'll have to get cracking on the new version, ASAP...

• Simon
    Simon

I understand the sentiment for calling people 'trouble-makers' but we have to be careful that we don't group everyone together. Some people do just like to be controversial and stir up debate but a lot of the people who post are quite sensible and would be most welcome to post here if the wanted - I'm sure quite a few here have been on H20 at smoe point prior!
    I posted there occassionally as 'Caliban'. The description I heard of it being like the 'front-line' is quite good. Maybe we'd just need to split things up here into separate forums so we could retain our cosy / friendly (usually!) area but still accomodate the more 'lively' stuff.

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

I love you Wendy! You crack me up. I hope this forum can continue too. It is a good place to be. Do You Hear Me Simon?

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Simon,

There are about a half dozen of us who post, regularily or occasionally, at H20. For all the gruff, irritation and testosterone there - a lot of intelligent conversation/arguments.

I learned links to other places, learn to combat more effectively, learned to try and read between the lines, made some really cool friends/acquaintenances. Found an old friend of the family we hadn't talked to in about 40 years, Maximus.

If it goes down, it will be a loss, for thousands of people, particularily jw's who click on the web just to see if there's anybody else like them.

Good grief ! I'll have to get cracking on the new version, ASAP... - Simon

Ain't that the truth.....

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit