Ever tried "Dry January"? Join Ms. OM & me for a 30 day liver vacation!

by Open mind 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

There are a few things I picked up from Watchtowerism that I still find value in.  (Although, I could have easily picked them up elsewhere.)

One of these is the 30-day test to abstain from all booze.

After fading from JWs, I've learned a "worldly" variant, that I think is even more practical:  Dry January.

November & December invariably see Ms. OM and me imbibing more and more with parties and dinners here and there. 

For us, January is the best month to give our livers a vacation and (sort of) make sure we're not alcoholics.  I say sort of because just going 30 days on the wagon doesn't really prove we're not alcoholics.  But hey, at least it proves we can go 30 days!

14 staff members at New Scientist magazine did a very small, non-peer reviewed, non-scientific experiment to see what, if any, results would come from 5 weeks of no drinking.  Here's the chart:

And here's a link to the article:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22129502.600-our-liver-vacation-is-a-dry-january-really-worth-it.html#.VKcI7cljkuc

So, have you ever tried the 30 day test?

om

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Unfortunately, JWs must drink in order to remain JWs. LOL.

Seriously, though, I do not really drink much, certainly not everyday, and not more than one or two when I do drink, but occasionally I intentionally refrain for two or more weeks. The biggest improvement I see is sleep gets way better, and daily high/low energy swings become more level. 

A three day juice fast also accomplishes as much, or more, than a 30-day respite, but the 30-day break is probably more managable for most people.

Thanks for sharing. 

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

There are a few things I picked up from Watchtowerism that I still find value in.  (Although, I could have easily picked them up elsewhere.)   One of these is the 30-day test to abstain from all booze.

Over 50 years a JW and NEVER heard of this!!!   Don't know many (drinking) JWs that would even consider it.  If i'd suggested that to most of my JW friends (esp the Elders amongst them) they'd have laughed their ass off.

Esp if I was the one suggesting it.

Doc

• Open mind
    Open mind

Hey there DOC.  I agree most  drinking JWs would laugh in your face if you suggested this to them.  I was on a JC where the accused had made the mistake of downing 3 very large beers (IROC, they were 22 oz) in rapid succession at a ball game in front of a very holier-than-thou tee-totaller. 

One of the other kangaroo court members pulled out an Awake! article that recommended a 30 day break from alcohol just to prove you can do it. This poor guy had to agree to do the 30 days as part of "works that befit repentance".  Blech.

Maybe if Blondie happens across this thread she'll have the exact reference.

Quite a few years later, the Awake! made another similar comment, but extended the time to several months!!!

(Imagine a round-mouthed, surprised emoticon right here.)

om

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"... in view of the potential dangers of overdrinking or alcohol dependency, why not do just that for a month or two? Or, since there is a strong tendency to deny that there is a problem, resolve for a month to abstain at all times when having a drink is normal." -- W 4-15-85, p.20,  Accept God’s Help to Overcome Secret Faults

I wonder if Lot did this after his two daughters shagged him while he was in a drunken stupor? 

In a link on the WTL cd-rom it referrenced this little gem:

*** w70 5/15 p. 314 Avoiding the Snare of Homosexuality ***

"... With regard to homosexuality there is much uncertainty as to cause. It is now generally recognized that physical factors... Then again, a young boy may get started in homosexuality by being seduced by homosexual men

...In many cases the older men gave the young boys wine or liquor... Thus when older men, strangers, offer to buy a young boy an alcoholic drink, there may be an ulterior motive."

A secondary benefit of a 30-day alcohol break, apparently, will also help you to determine if you are gay or not. 

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

If elders did this there would be no elders meetings for 30 days, because going home to a good stiff drink is probably the only thing they have to look forward to after an elders meeting.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Thanks for the refs ADCMS!

To sparrowdown, I can't remember for sure, but it's quite likely that I went home after that JC and had a stiff drink myself.

om

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

The wife came down with the flu last sunday.  I got hit Monday.  We have been abstaining from alcohol since.  Planning a nice 90 day vacation from it.  Difficult since we have spent a fair bit of money building up our scotch collection, but I think we will feel better and save some scratch in the mean time.

More power to you if you are doing it.  My DTs havent been too bad.

• coalize
    coalize
    My liver need a "Dry 2015"....
  • Magwitch
    Magwitch

Toward the end of my JW membership I always came home from the meetings needing a FEW stiff gins followed by a glass of wine or two. After I left it only got worse. I finally realized I had to give it up for good and forever.....and I did a little while back. I sleep sound, have tons of energy, look 100% better (probably smell better too). The only bad part is that when you give up alcohol you lose a ton of weight. I am skin and bones and yearn for the days when that bottle of wine kept a little jiggle on :) 

If I was still going to meetings, I firmly believe I would be downing my beverage BEFORE the meeting and have no desire to give it up. 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit