Assembly Talks... Are these assigned based on the thickness of the envelope?

by Calebs Airplane 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

C/O`s may get a Green Hand Shake..

But..

I`ve never seen or heard of it done,as trade for a talk..

....................... photo mutley-ani1.gif ... OUTLAW

• BluePill2
    BluePill2

I used to assign DC talks to elders. Worked in Service Departments of several smaller Branches.

It could be possible for SAD or Circuit Assemblies, but not possible for DC. But as everyone said, the CO has to keep his image. Don't forget that the DO or some visiting speakers from Bethel, will give a report about HIM as well and his ability to set up an assembly programme.

There is a form to evaluate all the speakers of the circuit. These forms go to the Service Department of each branch. The talks have certain requirements (age, years of experience, if a family man or not, if "special privileges" or not), depending on those they sift through the Database and search for fitting candidates. Then they also consider comments on the S-2 forms (filled out after the CO visit). It is a long winded process and even in smaller branches, the person(s) doing this process hardly know the elders personally. Sometimes the SD also has notes on very special speakers that are outstanding etc. Also Bethelites are taken into the game.

You can acusse the Borg of many things, but this is not one of them. They try to keep a programme with high quality speakers as a whole lot of things depend on this.

There are forms and recommendations about everyone up the management line. Nobody trusts individuals. This is a very burocratic organization.

• BluePill2
    BluePill2

Just to clarify my point about the requirements.

If a talk is about pioneering, they will not choose Brother Joe Self-employed-with-a-fat-Mercedes to give the talk. Or if the talk is about family values, then a single guy will have no chance to get the talk. Or if about masturbation/sex then a married dude will get his shot (possibly someone that is 50, 60'sch so that people will think: NO WAY, THIS guy never touches his junk - eventhough we all know that sometimes the opposite is true....)

Brother Joe Self-employed-with-a-fat-Mercedes with a deep baritone voice and a hang for fanatic statements will get a talk about prophecies or science or how the end is near or such crap, as he comes over as very smart ass and people will hang on to everyone of his words.

• suavojr
    suavojr

BluePill2 said: Brother Joe Self-employed-with-a-fat-Mercedes with a deep baritone voice and a hang for fanatic statements will get a talk about prophecies or science or how the end is near or such crap, as he comes over as very smart ass and people will hang on to everyone of his words.

LOL!!! Now I know why a certain guy that owns two BMW's got the talk about unity in my last CA...

• BluePill2
    BluePill2

suavojr:

If you had any international contact with witnesses, you would notice that there is some kind of "underlying scheme" on how talks are presented. The same kind of guys get the same kind of talks - in any country. Service Departments work alike. It becomes "cookie cutter", "paint by the numbers" approach...especially since they started using a certain Database for Branches.

• suavojr
    suavojr

BluePill2

You are correct, last time I traveled outside the US I saw this pattern. Same people always get the talks, if it is a JW who has moved because the need is greater, if the brother has close relationship with the branch, etc... he will always get a talk.

• williamhconley
    williamhconley

The C.O. assigns the speakers for the SAD and2 day circuit assembly. The branch assigns the speakers for the 3 day convention. I completely agree that green handshakes will not get you speaking assignments. It would be too obvious and the DO or bethel speaker would catch on quickly. In 2007 they started an arrangement where the COBE, school overseer, and the auxiliary couselor would grade elders in their Congregation from a-d in different speech qualities along with comments about family etc. Then that would be sent to the CO who in turn send to the branch.

• prologos
  • Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

People are people. C.O.s and D.O.s are people- we like to be around people who make us feel good about ourselves. It all boils down to who makes them LOOK good and FEEL GOOD.

LOOK Good- Great speaker...with no skeletons in the closet that they KNOW about. Hopefully they have HEARD the speaker deliver at talk or two and he is a pioneer or he talks a good story about "going to Pioneer soon".

FEEL Good. - The brother makes the C.O. & D.O. laugh, and flatters him or feel liked. Golf, Ski trips, Cruise, etc. Many times that INCLUDES a shopping trip with a gold card or envelope. My Father in law was prominate in the Borg for handing out VERY fat envelopes with thousands of $$ to the right people in Brooklyn, telling jokes and while entertaining them.

I have known a couple of new Elders rise from obscurity to Circuit speakers in a matter of weeks for the cost of a great dinner and new suit of clothes for the C.O. and his Wife.

• nochoice
    nochoice

Blondie and OntheWayOut mentioned "obedience" being an important factor. What exactly do you mean by "obedience"? Aren't all elders, for the most part, obedient to the slave? Is there a way that some of them show a more "comapny man" kind of appearance? Is it just a matter of having that perfect family - wife in submission, kids quiet all the time, whole family pioneering, etc.? Husband on all kinds of committees - HLC, RBC, etc.?

Thanks for clarifying!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit