The door bell rang today

by ABibleStudent 22 Replies latest jw friends

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Just before I started undressing to take a shower to go to an appointment, the door bell rang. I thought about not answering the door, but then thought what the hell it could be my neighbor, who is a widow and in her 70's, needing some help.

At the door was a frail man about 85+ years old dressed in a shabby sport coat, shirt, tie, and slacks, and a skinny woman about 75+ years old in a long dress that needed to be ironed. As I grabbed my dog to prevent him from jumping at the screen door, which was partially open, and beating the couple with his tail and making them fall, I thought what am I going to do. They looked so pathetic and projected no positive energy to entice people to attend the Watchtower Memorial.

In a split second, at least 8 ideas passed through my mind:

• I do not have time to successfully plant a seed of doubt.
    • How much grief would I cause them by attempting to plant a seed of doubt?
    • Who would help them if I did successfully plant a seed of doubt?
    • Do they know how to access the internet to visit websites like www.jwfacts.com?
    • Would planting a seed of doubt cause them more grief and shorten their lives?
    • Should I accept their Memorial flyer and invite them to return later when I would have more time?
    • They are so old, who would be negatively affected by them leaving a WTBTS flyer?
    • What simple question could I ask that would not involve me asking more questions and missing my appointment?

As the man finished saying that he wanted to invite me to a world wide celebration, all I could blurt out was "I would rather follow Jesus Christ."

The man ignored my statement and tried to hand me the flyer through the partially opened screen door, so I said, "I would rather follow Jesus Christ than the Watchtower." Neither the man nor the lady acted or said anything that indicated that they objected with what I said and started going to my neighbor's door.

I was a little surprized, said good day, and closed the door. Part of me was hoping that they would have taken the bait and I could have said something like, "How would you treat me if I ate the bread and drank the wine at the Memorial services as Jesus Christed directed his disciples to do? . . . Isn't it better that I follow Jesus Christ and attend services at a church instead?" The other part of me was glad that I did not cause them any grief and drama in their remaining years of life.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• whathappened
    whathappened

I feel badly for that old couple. They shouldn't be out there doing volunteer work for a publishing house at their age. So sad...

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Next time invite them in for tea and some food. Listen to their personal story. You might be able to share something gently that would be a comfort to them. Its not their fault.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Old time JWs usually have a host of converts of converts of converts that they sucked into Rutherfords damaging little cult. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't feel some guilt for their actions.

• subytrek
    subytrek

During the campaigns Witnesses are instructed to not spend much time at each door but to try to pass out all their invitations and cover as much territory as possible so that's why you might be surprised they didn't attempt to engage you in conversation. It's not the normal door to door work now.

• Mum
    Mum

They might not have been ignoring you. I think it is more likely that they couldn't hear you. I feel so sad for elderly people who make themselves suffer by approaching strangers with stuff the strangers don't want to hear. If they came to my door, I'd offer them a cup of tea and a snack. I remember people doing that for me even though they had no interest in the garbage I was trying to get them to listen to.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

To all thank you for your comments.

@ whathappened, I felt sorry for them, but I was also happy that they were getting some excercise. I just wish that they were doing a 5K/10K run/walk instead of going D2D for the WTBTS.

@ villagegirl, If I wasn't going to be late for an appointment, I would have invited them in. I do not blame them and I am reluctant to cause them grief in their remaining years of life. They are victims of the WTBTS's BITE control techniques. If nothing else, reading Steve Hassan's book helped me not to be angry with JWs or other cult members.

@ Black Sheep, May be someday they will feel grief. I just do not want to cause them so much grief that it shortens their lives.

@subytrek, Thanks for the information. Next time I will invite them in for a drink of OJ, water, or tea to keep them occuppied. As a recent elder, do you have any suggestions to help awaken younger JWs (i.e., < 60 years old)?

@Mum, I will try to remember to stock up on girl scout cookies for next years Memorial. Unfortunately, I only buy the thin mints and I eat them too quickly, because they are so good frozen.

Robert

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I've seen old time JWs still recruiting from their deathbeds. As long as they still breath, or believe, they are a danger to the unwary.

I have no sympathy for them. They saw prophetic failure by their church leaders decades ago and chose to ignore the warnings in their own Bibles and carry on recruiting, regardless of the implications. Their failure to ignore the evidence in their church's failure may have already resulted in the early demise of several of the converts of converts that they recruited and they don't give shit. Ask them. I have never had one show any remorse.

• Heaven
    Heaven

If you don't want to be bothered by JWs, you need to move to my street. They haven't knocked on my door since I told them that my Mother was miserable as a JW. They don't want to engage with people who have real life experiences with JWs. They're looking for the low hanging fruit.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

@ Black Sheep, I agree with you that it is frustrating to realize that people can be so blind to how dangerous the WTBTS's policies and practices can be. Until I read Steve Hassan's book "Combatting Cult Mind Control", I was naive about how powerful BITE control is. I think that inviting JWs to enjoy a cup of tea and cookies may have a positive effect that they will run out of time distributing their invitations and hopefully not snare another innocent person. JWs certainly will not deceive me.

@ Heaven, I actually like that JWs do come to my door. I just wish that I wasn't in a hurry to go to an appointment and that they were a little younger, like say 18 to 60 years old. I like planting seeds of doubt so much that I search the internet to post comments to WTBTS infomercials.

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit