Question for Believers: Is there a “Maximum” Age for Becoming a True Believer?

by Yan Bibiyan 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

I started with Christians in mind, but broadened the scope to include all faiths.

Question is posed to help solve a dilemma:

If “Yes” – what is that age and what is the scriptural basis.

If “No” – why do believers insist on forcing their children to become believers at a very young age? If when they turn adults and decide that they want to worship a particular deity, that deity will welcome them regardless of age.

Without a doubt, the mind of a child is like a sponge and activities and surrounding at a young age leave a lasting impression on the path to adulthood.

If we, as parents, are striving to provide a well-balanced upbringing, strive to teach our children diversity, insist on or live to provide a better life for our offspring, why on earth are we indoctrinating them with a set of one-sided values that are often ”tattooed” on them for life?

Let the kid be, teach them right from wrong and allow them to make their choice in their own life when they roll into adulthood.

We allow them the freedom to do it for career, for marriage, for residence, for the upbringing of their own children, why not let them turn 18 and if they feel like being religious - so be it, if they don’t – so be it.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

5 days and 117 views later there is not a single response.

Statistically, at least half of the views should have been by believers, not to mention that the subject line is pretty specific.

Is my question that stupid, or is it that dead on?

• bsmart
    bsmart

I spoke with a JW relative last year about marriage vs baptism age and how no one is encouraged to marry until mature etc, and so many young teenagers take the dip. I asked which is more important, and the response was all over the place. No real answer however. How they could shun a sibling who was no longer sinning (married 6 months after living together- the cause of DF). Just blows my mind.

Not a real answer for your topic, sorry

• Ding
    Ding

I don't think there is any maximum age nor am I aware of any religion that has a maximum age for joining.

If parents have the view that one religion is no better or no worse than another, they will probably be hands off as you suggest.

That said, isn't raising one's children to believe that one religion is just the same as another itself an attempt to instill a particular religious point of view in the children? Doesn't it perhaps imply that the children should believe that their choice of religion is as inconsequential as whether they end up preferring McDonald's restaurants to Burger King?

I think that saying that parents should just "teach their children right from wrong" begs the question. Who is to determine right from wrong? To a JW parent, what's right is for their children is to become JWs and what's wrong is for their children to do anything else.

Parents who have a religious faith which they believe to be the truth (to the exclusion of other religions or religious systems) naturally want to teach that truth to their children in their formative years.

Depending on what the parents believe happens after death, they may also be concerned with what eternal destiny the child will have if they should die young (but after they are able to understand right and wrong). This would strong argue against a "leave it up to them when they are adults to figure it out" approach.

Even if parents don't believe one religion to be the truth or don't have a religion at all, it's likely that they would want to protect their children from getting sucked into a destructive cult. Given the circumstances, a total hands off approach might be counterproductive. Imagine, for example, parents who see their 16 year old child starting to attend a KH or go to Scientology meetings with friends. Should they override the children's choices or leave it up to them?

In terms of religious training, there is always a tension.

Parents naturally want their children to make choices the parents consider right or at least avoid decisions the parents consider destructive.

On the other hand, wise parents understand that mature people need to make their own choices, that trying to force religious convictions into their children is counterproductive, like trying to force someone to love someone else.

(I was going to say that it is impossible to force genuine religious convictions on someone, but I'm not sure that's completely true. As we know, people are often indoctrinated into cults through mind control techniques. Such people can be genuinely and fanatically devoted to such a religion even though they got there and are kept there by fear, guilt, and misinformation.)

• Bella15
    Bella15

As far as followers of Jesus The Christ, you won't attain fully maturity until we are reunited with him ... it is a journey into eternity ... everlasting life ... the whole world cannot contain the glory of God, the world could not have contained all the books written about Jesus, etc ... it is a process into eternity with God....

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

the answer is no..

a young mind is easily molded

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/plast.html

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Rub a Dub

• tec
    tec

There is no minimum or maximum age for faith.

But parents are going to teach their children as they believe best. Except in some cases of strict indoctrination or cults, most of those children are going to question as they have been taught, and at some point choose for themselves. Some go back to what their parents taught them, and some go onto other things.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit