Is it disrespectful to call God by his name?

by BU2B 39 Replies latest jw friends

• mP
    mP

In ancient times father literally meant leader, and not the male dna contributor. Men were the head of each family. Given that Jehovah was the leader in the pantheon of other gods, by calling him abba he is calling him leader. The ten commandments acknowledge other gods in the first commandment. You must not have other gods **before** me. Im not sure about after but before implies he is the primary and not th eonly.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    You must not have other gods **before** me. Im not sure about after but before implies he is the primary and not th eonly.

False syllogism.

• mP
    mP

Jeffro: But is it wrong ?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Jeffro: But is it wrong ?

It's a play on words, misusing the intended meaning of 'before me' (i.e. 'in my presence'). From that perspective, yes, it's wrong.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Loubelle got it.

S

• mP
    mP

Jeffro:

It's a play on words, misusing the intended meaning of 'before me' (i.e. 'in my presence'). From that perspective, yes, it's wrong.

mP:

Not quite its reading the text literally. You are free to tell your opinion but thats all it is. We also have the idol to the copper snake that was in the temple and not destroyed until Josiahs time. ANother god, Asherah was also fine, we can see this in the challenge between Elijah and the priests of Baal on Mt Carmel. God only kills the Baal prietts and leaves those of Asherah following teh challenge.

Jehovah wants to be first, never does the bible say he is the only.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

I don't believe the Bible god exists, but if he did, I would call him "Snuggles."

It suits his selfish, jealous, vengeful, and murderous personality described in the Bible.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Call god anything you like until he personally tells you otherwise.

If he does tell you otherwise, call a psychiatrist...Jeffro

LMAO!

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

mP:

Not quite its reading the text literally. You are free to tell your opinion but thats all it is. We also have the idol to the copper snake that was in the temple and not destroyed until Josiahs time. ANother god, Asherah was also fine, we can see this in the challenge between Elijah and the priests of Baal on Mt Carmel. God only kills the Baal prietts and leaves those of Asherah following teh challenge.

Jehovah wants to be first, never does the bible say he is the only.

Okay, why not. I love fan fiction.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

This is what the Jews always say in Synagogue, it is know as "the Shema"

Deuteronomy 6:4-9
    Sh'ma Yis'ra'eil Adonai Eloheinu Adonai echad.
    Hear, Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is One.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit