mP

Obviously nothing.

• bsmart
    bsmart

try chrome or firefox

• fiddler
    fiddler

H ebrews 8:7

7 For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another.

At first glance it seems to be saying that the first covenant had some problems and so a new one was sought ~ which just leads to the conclusion IMHO that the new one could be just as flawed as the old one and on and on it goes with covenants made by men (or women if that had been allowed ).

• fiddler
    fiddler

I at least got the text up there even if the print DID come out so small you can't read it

Scratch that last sentence.......I just figured out how to edit. YEAH!

• Ding
    Ding

I think it is referring to the fact that the Law was never given to make people righteous. Rather, it was designed to show us our need for Christ.

Galatians 3:11-14: "Now it is evident that no man is justified before God by the law; for "He who through faith is righteous shall live"; 12 but the law does not rest on faith, for "He who does them shall live by them." 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us -- for it is written, "Cursed be every one who hangs on a tree" -- 14 that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith."

Galatians 3:21-25: "Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law. 22 But the Scripture declares that the whole world is a prisoner of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe. Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24 So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law."

• fiddler
    fiddler

Was it Paul who wrote Galations?

What 'Jesus' suposedly wrote and what Paul writes years later..............bleh

Writings of men as I said.

How wordy those old dudes could be! Personally........I believe that there was a big Eastern influence of spiritual thought back then, Jesus words being so close to Buddha like words and all........so here we are! All that 'old covenant' stuff is just that............OLD.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

That Paul wrote Galatians is not contested these days by any scholar I know of. And yes, the Old Covenant has no relevance for Christians is the whole point of his rather urgent sounding letter. The Galatians were being persuaded by the Jewish Chrisitians that they needed to be part of the Old Covenant, even get circumsized, Paul says not.

By the way, as far as we know, Jesus wrote nothing, he may well have been illiterate, as was probably Peter and the other fishermen.

The words put in to the mouth of Jesus by the Gospel writers do show Eastern influence, but then the common thinking of jewish teachers of the day was too, as well as being very Hellenised.

A fascinating book I read recently goes in to this spread of ideas, it is called "And Man Created God" by Selina O'Grady. An enlightening and educational read.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I've been wondering about Hebrews 8:7 too for days now...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit