Elders- Have any of You faded Because of participating in a JC where the Arguments from the accused made sense to you?

by truthlover 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• truthlover
    truthlover

I know the question is long, but it has occured to me that there are a lot of newbies here but before that, many ex elders, some co and do's that are no longer JW's.... did the publishers comments at a JC about the misconceptions,dates, and lack of holy spirit, etc. make sense to you and did you start thinking about the failed prophecies, fudging the "new light" etc. which caused you to slowly fade away.

Were you ashamed you participated in the JC's after that?

Thanks

TL

• Glander
    Glander

Two JC's in particular I was on eventually added up to other things. The straw that broke the camels' back....

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I always wondered if an elder had the balls to step up if this occured

• truthlover
    truthlover

Thanks for the feed back Glander -- for the few years I had "lurked" here it never occured to me to ask that question, yet it seemed so pivotal to what is happening with the society now - a lot of elders and ms are leaving, we hear of co's and do's in spiritual trouble and the society begging former elders to take up the torch again as the young ones are not stepping up and the older ones are burned out.. and now the JC's are being taped, recorded and played on Facebook and you tube, etc. for all the world to see, so I just wondered how many elders were impacted with logic..

Thanks again

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

I did not fade because of anything someone said during a JC, but some things became evident to me because of holding JCs. The biggy, I realized that I had no Scriptural authority to require someone to meet behind closed doors with two other elders. If a publisher said "Thank you for your concern Brother Elder, but I do not wish to participate in a judicial meeting." What basis did I have to require it? None.

Another one that I find comical now. We had a somewhat borderline MServant begin to partake at the Memorial. The first time he partook, he drank the whole glass! The server had to come back to the platform to get more wine. HAHAHAHAHA!!! I poured another glass, all the while wondering who drank the whole thing. That brother was eventually DFd for another matter. After I left the Org, I called him up one day. He thought it was trap. But I assured him that I was no longer an elder and not attending the meetings. I told him that I just had to know why he drank the whole cup. Among other reasons, he said he did it to make a point, that he knew what the Bible said about partaking and he was not going to hold back any more. It's still funny.

• Fernando
    Fernando

An intuitive understanding of Judging Committee shenanigans is one of the many things that held me back from "reaching out" to become a member of the "ruling religious clergy class".

Thank God!

Being outspoken with a strong sense of justice and what is right or wrong, I would certainly have burnt out quickly, trying to ensure that righteousness prevailed amidst the Godless Watchtower Pharisees and Sanhedrin.

• Glander
    Glander

My JC experiences referred to above involved enforcing then current WT policies which I (and a couple of other elders) didn't personally agree with. One led to a DF'ing of a good person. The other denied a divorce to a person who really should have divorced the mate. In a short time the WT REVERSED itself in a weasel Question from Readers response. No apologies for the impact on people who had been deeply affected and no comfort for the elders who enforced their "old light".

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Marked. Fascinating subject. I hope this thread gets tons of responses from formers and currents.

• truthlover
    truthlover

FHN, Glander and all..

I hope there are a lot of responses too.. I find it fascinating that elders, can for years, listen to those who have serious spiritual doubts and not be affected in some way. If they were to be psychiatrists, psychoanalysts, etc - which they are not, and deal with all types of personal and spiritual situations, it has to take a toll. Somewhere along the line, for all the praying they do to bring holy spirit and direction to the JC, surely that holy spirit would direct them to jump ship. I know that those who have stepped down refuse to go back to the responsibility but still maintain their meeting attendance while not agreeing in whole anymore with the society. "Hidden rocks"?? who knows

TL

• Splash
    Splash

The first JC I sat on, I was newly appointed and barely 27 years old.

A young sister who had not attended in years wanted to come back, but needed to clear her conscience. She faded when a teenager, met a guy and moved in together. Since then they got married - he was never a JW.

I remember the way the elders asked intimate questions - not demanding all the details, but asking when, how often, why now etc.

I actually felt they were being sensitive while trying to understand all of the issues, after all this sister approached the elders, not the other way around.

What I found hardest is that I am a naturally compassionate person. Even now I speak to DF'd ones who come back to the KHall, but this sister was very distressed. She was crying, sad, embarrassed, remorseful, frightened.

Then she was sent out of the room and the other two elders looked at me and asked "what do you think?"

The enormity of that question still resonates with me.

They were asking me what should we do with this young girls life.

Being brought up a JW I had no life experience, no understanding of these situations, and no training. I realised I couldn't pass judgement on her.

We finally agreed that she would not be DF'd, but some restrictions would be in order while she gets back into the congregation.

We never saw her again.

I wish I had, just so I could tell her "sorry".

Splash.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit