Markan priority and the synoptic gospels

by 88JM 43 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Emery
    Emery

mP,

Robert M Price has lost a lot of credibility with his mythiscism amongst scholars. He is a minority in the academic world with his radical theories. I have read some of his work and heard his debates but if you ever get a chance, there's a radio show called 'Unbelievable' where Ehrman absolutely destroys Price's arguments relating to the historical Jesus.

Also, the verses transhuman68 just quoted are all before the end of Mark 16:8. Of course everything after those verses were added.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

One of the first books of Biblical scholarship I ever read was The Four Gospels: A Study of Origins by B H Streeter who proved to most people's satisfaction that Mark was the first gospel and that the other Synoptics relied on it. Nearly a hundred years after it was it written I think it's still a great read. It's not just about when the gospels were written but about textual criticism too and how manuscripts are divided into families of texts.

• mP
    mP

Emery:

I have read some of his work and heard his debates but if you ever get a chance, there's a radio show called 'Unbelievable' where Ehrman absolutely destroys Price's arguments relating to the historical Jesus.

MP:

Anyone can make speaches that only highlight their POV, read the book. Underline the passages of proofs, and when your finished come back and count the facts. I read the book "Did Jseus exist" you wont find much. He never discusses all the fraudulent contradictory gospels that appears at the time. He neveer quotes Josephus because he knows that claim by Christians is a fraud. He never mentions the scale of pious fraud that honest Chrsitians changed the bible both in the beginning ad many centuries afterwards. Where is his extenral non biblical evidence ?

• Emery
    Emery

mP,

Well don't get me wrong, I am not a believer either and hold no theological investment in the NT, but I totally disagree with Robert Price's mythicism and academic credibility. Again, if you havent already, I would strongly recommend listening to Ehrman's rebuttals to Robert Price before jumping on the mysticism band wagon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt_pyrU8V3U

I have nothing to gain by arguing for the existence of Jesus, however I do believe that a historical person by the name of Yeshua Ben Yosef (Jesus) did exist. He was a jewish apocalyptic follower of John the Baptist and was later executed for disrupting the jewish community with his teachings. The majority of scholars and historians who specialize in the New Testament will agree that he did exist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit