Living Forever on a Paradise Earth?

by return of parakeet 17 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

Wouldn't the standard Christian belief of "eternity in heaven" run into the same issue?

Eventually, whether in heaven or on earth, you'd get bored, wouldn't you?

Conversely, whatever it was that would make eternal heavenly life bearable, wouldn't something similar be available for the earth-bound?

I.e., I don't see this as a JW theology issue, I see it as a Christian theology issue.

• ItsMyLife
    ItsMyLife

Whenever I mentioned that 'forever' would be an incredibly long time to fill to my parents, they would say 'Well just think - you could learn every single language in the world in that time'.

Hang on, isn't everyone supposed to be going back to using just one language in the new system? That's about 2 years (3 for slow learners, like me) taken up then. Only an infinite number to go....

That would actually be quite close to my definition of Hell!

Peace to all x

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

There are many possibilities. Where does the bible say that Adam was made to live forever on the Earth? That is a WTBTS s theory. Pehaps Adam was not supposed to age and break down as we do now, but that does not mean that he was to remain forver on the earth. There is the possibility that having a perfect body, vibrating at a perfect frequency would have the ability to enter the spiritual realm at will. That is apparently what Christ did. Cruising the Universe, perhaps multiple Universes, Silver Surfer style would never get old.

Also perhaphs the Universe can go on as long as the needed energy is returned to the system. We can't really say that it is a closed system. All we can do for now is observe, and we are very limited in that ability. The Universe may be like spinning plates that just need a little push every few eons.

Who knows, we could just be in a larval-like stage of existence too. One thing is certain, we will find out soon enough.

• QC
    QC

DDog, did you get my PM?

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

whathappened: " I mourned over the fact that I will never see my deceased baby girl again, my father, grandmother, etc. It still makes me sad when I think I am going to die and rot in the ground and my family will also. "

Your grief is what makes the WTS lies so cruel.

sir82: " Eventually, whether in heaven or on earth, you'd get bored, wouldn't you? "

ItsMyLife: " Only an infinite number to go.... That would actually be quite close to my definition of Hell! "

My point exactly.

DATA-DOG: " Cruising the Universe, perhaps multiple Universes, Silver Surfer style would never get old. "

Really? Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, etc.?

Dubbies, be careful what you wish for. Think about it.

• Jen2013
    Jen2013

As a kid I had to study the Watchtower literature with a man who claims to be one of the 144000. That was a big issue for me at that time. I personally knew a man who will someday look down on me from heaven, judging me permanently. And I was sure he would take a close look. Just think about it. No more privacy! No more privacy for all eternity? Not even when going to the bathroom? All of a sudden, their fantasy of a paradise lost all its appeal and of course all its credibility. I think that was also the time I developed critical thinking and I early came to the conclusion that paradise, under the circumstances the Watchtower Company describes it, was nothing else but hell.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I often wondered what would happen to art and literature in the 'New system'. Think about it: some of the greatest literature comes from suffering and human conflict and the contemplation of the existential. Some of the greatest art and architecture comes from religious zeal eg cathedrals and their paintings and stained glass, and places like the sistine chapel, and the fabulous golden pagodas of Asia. Without conflict, even internal conflict, or culture or religions what sort of art and literature would there be? Watchtower writing and watchtower art. I was gonna miss my Shakespeare and Angkor Watt. What a boring world! Like that movie, 'pleasantville'.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Sorry but yep, totally sour grapes. I've always thought this was a daft objection. Man has been searching for the fountain of youth and always will, survival is our deepest instinct. Ask any 85 year old if they would like to grow young again and have their life over again knowing what they know now and they would say yes in a flash. As long as we have appetites, living would be forever enjoyable. Can you imagine never enjoying food when you're hungry or or a nice beverage when you're really thirsty, of never enjoying a nice back-rub once in a while, of never enjoying great humour? Never.

Now that they've mapped the genetic code, it's only a matter of time until they unlock the DNA secrets of extending human longevity to 100's of years again. Probably a 1,000 years is our genetic maximum potential in the best case scenario. I truly believe this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit