protestors at assemblies

by Hillary 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Hillary
    Hillary

Is there any protesting done outside the assemblies? Or is it only done at conventions? I believe some of my relatives have an assembly coming up soon.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

That is hardly noticable nowadays. When I came in during the late 80's, they would line up there were so many. Last I saw there is maybe one lonely guy, or signs. The internet is much more effective as it allows the individual to look for answer without fear of any sanctions.

• Hillary
    Hillary

I really wish there were people protesting with signs as it does make an impact on kids who don't know any differently than what they're taught by this religion. I remember when my parents joined, I was 9 years old and seeing the protestors with signs outside of my first convention. I remember reading the signs and wondering what they were all about and why would they protest this religion that gives a hope for paradise earth - why would anyone protest that.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

There were protesters every once in a while at the DC in my years growing up, but not at the CA/SAD. Anytime protesters/picketers were there, everyone just avoided them, then laughed at them once safely inside. It definitely reinforced the Org's message that "apostates are mentally diseased."

Someone more qualified than myself can probably give you some explanations around cult/high-control-group reflex reactions, even among those who have doubts about doctrine/rules.

I'm not sure if members' reactions would be different if it was something as simple as a banner hanging nearby that read: www.jehovahs-witness.net (Maybe with a "'The Truth' is Out There..." Hahaha....) That way there's no person that can been seen as "crazy", no clear message that defines an issue you could be "bitter" about, just a website whose URL can be easily remembered.

If I saw that, I'd think "Hmmm...obviously 'apostate', but I wonder what that website is?" As much as humans are naturally defensive when their [faith] community is under attack, they're equally imbued with a natural sense of curiousity.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

We had protesters at our assemblies..

They were avoided or laughed at..

........................  mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• Gopher
    Gopher

I find the idea of advertising websites like this one or Freeminds interesting, because JW's can secretly check them out on their own.

Back when I was going, you had to call a phone # - and that could have been somewhat intimidating (unless you were strongly determined to get out already).

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Anytime protesters/picketers were there, everyone just avoided them, then laughed at them once safely inside. It definitely reinforced the Org's message that "apostates are mentally diseased."

I find the idea of advertising websites like this one or Freeminds interesting, because JW's can secretly check them out on their own.

The way Newbies are coming on board, I'm not sure much advertizing needs to be done at this point. WTS is doing enough to send them here.

Doc

• mouthy
    mouthy

Well I was one of the Picketers for Many years...We were bus loads. Yes I was spit at by "loving"
    JWS.... But I was so happy to see kids in the cars sticking their fingers up at us ( in a disgusting way"
    Knowing they were NOT being taught to LOVE!!!!I would have given my life to see people leave
    NOW at my old age I still think we were in order, as when I used to attend Pennsylvania"

" Witness Now For Jesus" Convention.
    Many would stand up & say it was the signs that opened their Minds .If any want to go to those
    Convention I really would encourage it. BLUE MOUNTAIN is the site
    It is in Oct.

• Pterist
    Pterist

Mouthy

• yalbmert99
    yalbmert99

It's very hard to gather enough people to protest. I've tryied.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit