Has anyone heard anything about Elders being a separate entity and WTS not helping them in court cases legally?

by Newly Enlightened 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Chaserious, the only cases I saw the Watchtower step forward to defend their Kingdom elders was over the "disfellowshiping" most other things elders are sued for, are usually ignored by the Watchtower Organization. A brother with money near Clear Lake, California decided he was going to sue the Watchtower Society for "slander", ect.... when he was about to be disfellowshiped.

The Watchtower's legal department sent the brother their classic Orange Box full of paperwork but the brother had money and took them to court. The poor elders in this congregation were just following orders (part of the appeal committee) from their Apostles in New York. The Watchtower does not like to spend money to defend their working members (elders) and only step's where it could damm the whole Organization. Chaserious, did you attend Law School or do you have a degree in Legal Studies?

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Chaserious, the only cases I saw the Watchtower step forward to defend their Kingdom elders was over the "disfellowshiping" most other things elders are sued for, are usually ignored by the Watchtower Organization. A brother with money near Clear Lake, California decided he was going to sue the Watchtower Society for "slander", ect.... when he was about to be disfellowshiped.

The Watchtower's legal department sent the brother their classic Orange Box full of paperwork but the brother had money and took them to court. The poor elders in this congregation were just following orders (part of the appeal committee) from their Apostles in New York. The Watchtower does not like to spend money to defend their working members (elders) and only step's where it could damm the whole Organization. Chaserious, did you attend Law School or do you have a degree in Legal Studies?

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

ArbolesdeArabia - Yes, I'm graduating from law school this spring. So what happened with the brother who sued for slander? Did they announce his disfellowshipping anyway? My feeling is that they generally defend elders and congregations when it is their own policy/doctrine being attacked, like a general attack against the blood doctrine or disfellowshipping, but not when it's a result of elders following routine orders or making business decisions that middle managers just have to make sometimes, where in society in general one would expect their employer to come to their defense.

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

They kept silent from the platform (no DFing or DAing, nothing said) but word got around about his actions. The brother did have to pay the Watchtower's legal expenses (actually split them), so it was kinda of a "Draw'?

Congradulations on making it so far with your degree, have you decided what area of the Law you are going to specialize in? Looking back to your first year, how many hours a week did you study and if you don't mind me asking, did you ever want to write for your schools "Legal Review" magazine?

Elders are to keep their mouths shut regarding the "Blood Doctrine", the Society will allow unofficial opionions from stupid "old school" brothers to get hammered. The elders are to be like the merchants of Feudal Japan, remain as ambigious as possible to avoid angering a rich Samaria Witness who will cut their heads off for speaking the wrong thing!

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

Thanks, Arboles. Interesting outcome with the slander lawsuit. I have decided what practice area I'm going into, but since it's somewhat narrow, I'd rather not get more specific publicly than saying that it's within the realm of litigation. The first year was definitely tough, although I think some people blow it out of proportion with how hard it is. I would say that on average, I spent about 20 hours a week reading and studying, in addition to the 15 hours spent in class. However, during periods leading up to finals or before legal writing papers were due, the 20 hours became more like 40-50.

I do serve on the editing staff of one of the law journals at my school, and actually was fortunate enough to have an article (or a "comment" as they call them when student-written) that I wrote published. It's really not all that glamorous - when you get offered journal or law review membership, most of your time is spent editing, not writing. And even if you do get something published, except in rare cases, hardly anybody will ever read it - it's not like being published in the N.Y. Times or anything!

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

It's still a heck of a priveledge to write for the "Journal (or edit as you said)" and be published, that's something you can put on your resume.

There's a good book to keep on your book shelf when you join the firm. "The 48 Laws Of Power" is a really sharp book with qoutes of great leaders throughout the ages. This is one of those keep books you can read over and over, good leadership qoutes to juice your mind up! Very good job on getting a degree in Law, and making through law-school! I knew when I first starting reading your posts, you are in this field and by your good reasoning and logic and your ability to challenge people not use to being challenged! You will do good in life, people who stand out usually kick ass in the legal field!

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

Thanks for the kind words, Arboles. I'll check out that book!

• hoser
    hoser

They have recently told kingdom halls not to have the watchtower "tower" image displayed anywhere on the kingdom hall. I guess some halls had it built into the brickwork outside and had to spend a lot to repair it.

They sure like to tell the congregations how to run their business but when it comes to footing the bill it is a different story

hoser

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

They will throw you under the bus. I am not an Elder, but if I was, I would be extremely careful as to what I supported. Actually I would warn the rest of the BOE that they will be thrown under the bus when the pedo problems really surface. Then I would step down. A member here named Rubadubdub made a really insightful comment. I had never thought of it before. It was about the 2 witness rule. As a born in, that has always confused me. It seems airtight, even Ted Jaracz said " We do not go beyond what is written ", when he was approached about child abuse. Of course we know they do.. All I could ever think of as a rebuttal to the 2 witness rule was " spirit of the law vs the letter of the law "

Rubadubdub said that the Superior Authorities should be informed, I think we all agree with that, They should do their job, they are the SECOND WITNESS!! ELders should report the crime. All JC action should be placed on hold until the authorities do their job, which they are trained for. If the accused is innocent, great. There is no reason NOT to report. It is a win, win. The Authorities can clear a person's name if they have been falsely accused. The only reason not to report to the Authorities is to protect a secret...

Elders! Don't be thrown under the bus!! I know this is a little off topic, but it's kinda related, and it was on my mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit