Does the Bible actually condemn Homosexuality for Chrisitans anywhere ?

by Phizzy 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I ask the question because I read a very persuasive article on-line that showed that the Apostle Paul was not referring to mere homosexual practice in his words in his letters, but to Temple Prostitution etc, so he was condemning Idolatry, not being homosexual per se.

The basic usage of the word that some translations render as "homosexual" and the N.W.T, falling in to the etymology trap, renders "men who lie with men" means temple prostitute

The account of Sodom and Gomorrah has been shown on here to be concerned with lack of hospitality being the sin, mistreatment of strangers etc, still a no- no in Desert Communities. The whole story may well be a folk story or myth anyway, but it is interesting to see that the sexual acts themselves are not the main thrust (sorry) of Yahweh's anger.

The Law (Leviticus?) I have not looked at, but we are "not under Law" as Paul said.

Jesus is not recorded as saying anything on the subject, I would have thought he would if it was of concern.

So, for Christians who base their beliefs and lives on the Bible, is Homosexuality condemned ?

• irondork
    irondork

Gosh, I hope Yadda Yadda 2 chimes in! He brings such clarity to topics like this.

• designs
    designs

1Cor.6

• Pterist
    Pterist

Homosexuals are NOT condemned. Jesus came to save all sinners. The death and resurrection of Christ kills All sin and lusts in flesh. In Christ we are set free to OVERCOME any and ALL immoral and unnatural lusts, including homosexual acts which are works of the flesh, not fruit of the Spirit !

Shalom

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I Cor 6 is one of the texts I was referring to, or rather, the article I read was, as the article pointed out, the Bible cannot mean now what it did not mean then, so it is incumbent upon someone who wishes to use a scripture such as that to prove that the original word or phrase is used in the 1st century to mean what they say it means.

To simply rely on what a translation says is not good enough with something so important.

It is not the "act" that I particularly wish to get hung up on in this thread, it is the state of being a homosexual that some condemn based on, what ?

• designs
    designs

Jesus said that God created male and female and the two should become one flesh, Jesus showed his ignorance. As for the religious prostitution claim, it no doubt existed but to say that is all Paul had in mind when he made the statement when he made so many other flubs in his writings is thin ice.

• Pterist
    Pterist

*** the state of being a homosexual that some condemn based on, what ?***

The state of being a homosexual is not condemned, Paul said that's what some of you WERE, past tense, In Christ we are a new Creation, we overcome to be what we were predestined to be...a child of God! !

• designs
    designs

'predestined to be a child of God'. If there is a god then humans are already a child of said god, no hoops to jump through.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I don't consider it unnatural. Being that we now know it is not something you become, you are born with it, then it is not really unnatural at all, is it?

• irondork
    irondork

What! Do YOU not know that unrighteous persons will not inherit God’s kingdom? Do not be misled. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men, nor thieves, nor greedy persons, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit God’s kingdom. - 1 Corinthians 6:9,10

nor men kept for unnatural purposes = men who are kept as prostitutes nor men who lie with men = men who use the aforementioned prostitutes

Forbidding men from keeping or using male prostitutes (in accordance with the culture of the time), even though the participants of that trade were likely homosexuals, is no more a summary condemnation of homosexuality than a statement forbidding heterosexual prostitution constitutes a summary condemnation of heterosexuality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit