Being Deceived

by Dawn 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Dawn
    Dawn

Guess I should clarify one point..

I have found a new church I love (definately) - but it doesn't claim exclusive right to the "truth". There's no one who has the only channel to God on earth - I just happened to find a church that felt comfortable to me. (plus - I can wear jeans to church and they serve coffee & donuts....what else can you ask for?!!)

So my questions is more general in nature - not about this specific church.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    So here's the question - I believe I was deceived before, but how can I be sure that I'm not being deceived now?

You were deceived before because the group you were part of controlled your access to information. Anyone who doesn't want you to read contrary opinions doesn't have your best interests at heart. Check everything and you can't be deceived.

--
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes. - Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

• WildTurkey
    WildTurkey

Hi Dawn, I think religion, because of its church rules will conflict with your personal decisons to do what you think is right. Religion can make a peson proud and self-righteous, byt in reality you fail to be kind, honest, humble,loving.

• Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva

Jesus said that the sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath. To me, this should be extended to all religious activities. If you're finding the fellowship you need, if you're getting more out than you're putting in, and everyone else is doing the same, then you have found a promising situation.

Any church that serves coffee and donuts is cool with me.

• Liberty
    Liberty

Hi Dawn,

You really hit the nail on the head about knowing what is really the "truth". We ex-JWs know it is possible to be completely fooled, something that alot of mainstream Christians have never experienced. I think for all of our pain this is a great advantage because, for most of us ex-JWs, our confidence/arrogance levels are at least modified for the rest of our lives into a healthier humble skepticism where I would be very reluctant to force someone to accept a belief or be willing to hurt or kill to convince someone I was right.

I am now content to openly debate about philisophical disagreements in a friendly manner because I know I have been wrong before. I think the most dangerous people in the world are those who believe they can't be wrong. I have strong opinions but not a die hard commitment beyond all other considerations. The World is huge and complex and there are no simple answers in black and white for me anymore. I'm still an arrogant bastard but now I'm not willing to be 100% on any idea ever again.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Hey, I'm the first one to say that I personally don't buy into the entire 'holy book'/christianity thing ... anymore than I do that the Torah or any other holy book is any more than ancient man's religious manuscripts born of legend and story. I don't feel the need for a sky-daddy or momma to fulfill my life.

All that said however - many people do have the need for something like that in their lives. If they can find a religion that doesn't demand absolute loyaty then go for it. Just be sure not to become so involved that you could not walk away at any time. Church can be a nice social setting.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Well put Liberty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit