Meteorite hits in the Urals

by MrFreeze 13 Replies latest social current

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Video if a meteorite crashing down in the Urals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Omh7_I8vI

Apparently 100's were injured. Where is Bruce Willis?

• cedars
    cedars

I've heard the figures of 400 to 500 injured are an exaggeration. Apparently there were only a handful of people seriously injured, with the rest suffering minor cuts and bruises.

Even so, it's an astonishing event - rarely captured on film with such dramatic footage. Imagine the uproar if this had happened on December 21st last year!

I'm also intrigued that no footage has so far been released of the crash site, and the Russian authorities are referring to it as an "object" rather than a meteorite. If you want conspiracy theories to flourish, that's the way to encourage them.

Cedars

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

There seem to be several videos from dashboard cams that caught it. Thank goodness for terrible insurance companies in Russia that pretty much force everyone to have a dashboard cam.

I heard most people were injured from broken glass. Only about 40 serious injuries that kept people hospitalized. Still, pretty unprecedented that this many people were injured.

• cedars
    cedars

Also, looking at that video again, you have to marvel at all those bored Russians driving around filming their car journeys. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they were filming when this happened - but you have to wonder about all the hours of uneventful car journey footage that are taking up space on these people's laptops and smartphones.

[Edit post]

Thank goodness for terrible insurance companies in Russia that pretty much force everyone to have a dashboard cam.

Wow, I had no idea that dashboard cams are required for insurance purposes. That would explain it. I had visions of hundreds of bored Russians driving around filming their journeys waiting for something interesting to happen.

Cedars

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

From what I understand (I could be wrong as I don't live in Russia and have only heard this explanation for all of the dash cam footage in Russia) but due to the high rate of accidents in Russia they refuse to cover accidents without some sort of visual proof of who was at fault.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Wow! Scary. Cool. Not so 'cool' for the poor people injured though

• mariu
    mariu

I'm also intrigued that no footage has so far been released of the crash site

It's very well possible that there is no "crash site", at least not a very prominent one, because the object(s) simply evaporated in the atmosphere before they could hit the ground - just like many of the shooting stars we see at night. The so-far reported damage and injuries seem consistent with a shock wave, not an actual impact.

Of course, conspiracy theories will pop up anyway.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Apparently there's no "crash site" - the object disintegrated in the atmosphere, and what hit the ground are just debris. Last figure points to 700 + light injured people, mostly from windows blasting.

Eden

• Newly Enlightened
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

For a moment I thoought it had hit the urinals.

No doubt JWs will see it as a 'sign'(TM)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit