What's wrong with the way we interpret prophecy?

by EdenOne 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL, there must be something about the Bible that makes you think it is different to every other book ever written. I have no idea what that would be.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

It's certainly different than my daily newspaper, my Disney comics, or my "War and Peace" ................... There must be something about your eyes that makes you think they're the same.

Eden

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Saphy

What if it never happens, you ask? If it never happens because, as in the case of Niniv in the days of Jonah, Jehovah reconsiders his intentions because of the great loss of lives of people who "don't know the difference between their left and their right", I will rejoice with that change. Wouldn't you?

Eden

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

EdenOne you aren't going to be judged evil by God, and neither are most people. God desires "all to attain to repentance". (2 Peter 3:9) Don't you think that God can achieve any goal he sets out to accomplish?

This book/website was very helpful to me as I began to wake up to TTATT:

www.HopeBeyondHell.net

Below are grabs of the first two pages of the introduction. It illustrates that the WT along with most mainstream Christians take prophecy and Biblical writings and squeeze them into their pre-set ideas, ulitmately selling the love of God short. But at least WT has it right on Hell being a symbolic place!

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

This Armageddon fixation is a dangerous thing.

Not only the fixation, but the interpretation given to it by the Jehovah's Witnesses and Seventh Day Adventists (both Millerite). According to the scriptures, Armageddon will occur in the Middle East just a bit north of Jerusalem. The problem, of course, was that at the time Armageddon was being formulated by the Millerites, Judah had not begun returning to the holy city. But Isaiah had prophesied it when he wrote: " And it shall come to pass in that day, that the Lord shall set his hand again the second time to recover the remnant of his people, which shall be left, from Assyria, and from Egypt, and from Pathros, and from Cush, and from Elam, and from Shinar, and from Hamath, and from the islands of the sea. And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth." (Isaiah 11:11-12)

Armageddon happens after the gathering of Judah at a time when they are still unconverted to their Messiah. At a time when all looks hopeless, the heavens will light up and their Messiah will come as long predicted in Jewish scripture (Ezek. 38-39; Zech. 12-14; Rev. 11). But when they see him, they will note the wounds in his hands and his feet and they will ask him where he received them. Zechariah writes: " And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem. And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn. In that day shall there be a great mourning in Jerusalem, as the mourning of Hadadrimmon in the valley of Megiddon." According to Ezekiel, not all of the antichrist's forces will be killed with the coming of Jehovah. The Lord tells his enemy that only a sixth of them will be left. This sixth will be those conscripted into the service of the antichrist and Zechariah says that with the coming of the King of Kings. But they, too, will be converted. And there would be a great mourning throughout Jerusalem. Why? Because the Jews know full well who Jesus is, but until that moment he, to them, was just a radical and blasphemous pretender who failed to fulfill his role as temporal savior of the Jews.

But the Jehovah's Witnesses view the passage above very similar to the outrageous view expounded by a nitwit who wrote elsewhere: " Clearly this mourning was apocalyptic and referred to the national mourning the spiritual Jerusalem would engage in upon the birth of the church during Messianic days." In other words, don't take this prophecy literally as in the rest of the Old Testament. It means something wonderfully metaphysical because, you know, it can't possibly mean what it says!

If the Jehovah's Witnesses were the people of God, he would have to send them a Moses to lead them out of such thinking.

I read the Watchtower (right), and it didn't get one thing right. There was nothing
    about Jerusalem, the Jews, their temple, and the two witnesses who would hold the
    antichrist at bay for 3.5 years.

• Twitch
    Twitch

The fact that prophecy needs interpretation in the first place is rather telling, dontcha think?

• Tater-T
    Tater-T
    ? What's wrong with the way we interpret prophecy

The fact that anyone trys too.. just give up.. there is nothing there... it's all over but the crying for the BIBLE..

It would have happened along time ago ..if it ever was going too ....get on with the real world..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit