Neanderthal and Adam and Eve

by Aussie Oz 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Was actually looking into this and so did a search to see what was already talked about, Found the below quote on another thread after finding it on the CD for myself...stunning to me as I still thought of Neanderthal man as a hairy monkey man or a complete fabrication, and here is what appears to be a twist from the WT that I never realized all my years in.

What I found most interesting was the bolded section (by me)

*** w64 10/1 pp. 588-589 pars. 21-23 The Bible and Creation in the Light of Modern Science ***

23 But what of those so-called “prehistoric” men one frequently hears about? Some of such fossil remains are not human at all, but are animal. Others are simply varieties of the human family who were living at the same time “modern-type” man was, just as today there are many sizes and shapes in different living peoples. The Neanderthal man was at one time regarded as “prehistoric,” an ancestor of modern man in the evolution scale, but note what an encyclopedia now says: “Neanderthal man cannot be regarded as an ancestor of modern man. Neanderthal man and men of the modern type . . . must be looked upon as descendants of a common ancestor.”

This in context was the WT trying to demonstate how wrong evoltution is compared to creation, but perhaps they shot the whole Adam and Eve thing in the foot...

Now, to my way of thinking, what the WT said without saying back then (and nothing seems to have updated it) is that Adam and Eve must have had, aside from Cain and Able and unnamed daughters, also given birth to Neanderthals.

The Bible and JWs would not hold that there was an unknown Homo Sapien pair walking around giving birth to 'modern man' and 'neanderthal man', that then neantherthal died out leaving modern man, ie; Adam and Eve.

So the biblical and JW explanation must mean that Adam and Eve gave birth to Neanderthal man as well as the recorded children of Genesis. Both just enough the same (homo Sapien) but geneticaly also different enough for one to live on and the other not...

So Genesis just got buried under a mountain of shit...either Adam and Eve were not the first Homo Sapiens or if they were, they bore Neanderthal man.

In an effort to prove 'modern science' wrong didn't they instead prove genesis to be wrong?

thoughts?

Oz of the still learning class

• cofty
    cofty

Good catch Aussie Oz.

" Neanderthal man and men of the modern type . . . must be looked upon as descendants of a common ancestor .”

Shot themselves in the foot.

Of course it has now been possible to examine the DNA of neanderthals and show conclusively that they were our cousins. It also appears certain that there was some cross-breeding between Homo sapiens and Homo neanderthalis although there was a recent paper that questioned that.

• speargrass55
    speargrass55

You really don't believe the genesis tales anymore do you?

• cofty
    cofty

What would make you think that speargrass55?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Even when the WT wrote tha tarticle back in '64 it was known how long ago the Neanderthals lived, and became extinct *. So they must have had to do some huge "rationalising" to still support the 6,000 years of man's existence nonsense.

* I am not convinced they are extinct, we have a relative by marriage who carries all the signs of being a Neanderthal, unless of course they were distinguished by good manners, he lacks them, big time.

• ItsMyLife
    ItsMyLife

Genesis 4: 14: . 14 Here you are actually driving me this day from off the surface of the ground, and from your face I shall be concealed; and I must become a wanderer and fugitive on the earth, and it is certain that anyone finding me will kill me.

This is Cain replying to God after he's killed Abel and God has banished him. It could just be me, but when I read that the other day, I instantly wondered if that meant there were people elsewhere on the earth that weren't related to Adam and Eve. As surely not that many of his brothers/sisters would have moved that distance away from the family?

May whaterver you believe and trust in keep you strong x

• cofty
    cofty
    when I read that the other day, I instantly wondered if that meant there were people elsewhere on the earth that weren't related to Adam and Eve.

Let's keep it real - there was no Adam and Eve.

• ItsMyLife
    ItsMyLife

cofty - I'm not ready to agree or disagree with you yet I am happy to admit that you may be right, but I'm currently at a stage in my 'belief system' where I don't actually know what the heck I believe!

My notions of God et al are all twisted up with the JW faith, so I'm trying to unpick the threads and start over with a truly open mind. Very much more difficult than I thought it would be...

May whatever you believe and trust in keep you strong x

• cofty
    cofty

Take your time, its an interesting journey.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

But they were merely quoting, they were not themselves stating that Man and Nean had common ancestry. They were just trying to state that Nean was modern, and therefore a variation of man such as pygmees and inuits are different.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit