Aung San Suu Kyi on Desert Island Discs

by nugget 2 Replies latest social entertainment

• nugget
    nugget

I particularly enjoyed the programme this Friday and would recommend it. For those unfamiliar with this BBC radio 4 show famous people are asked to choose records they would take with them if they are stranded on a desert island. They are allowed to take one book (they are given the Bible and the complete works of Shakespeare) and one luxury.

The records are played on the show and the person being interviewed explains why they chose them.

As Aung San Suu Kyi has spent many years under house arrest in Burma it was interesting to see how she reflected on her life choices. In particular I was struck by her viewpoint that having made a choice she did not see her "suffering" as a sacrifice. She was prepared to walk the path she had chosen and embrace her choices.

If you get 45 minutes to spare it is worth a listen.

In the meantime what 8 records would you pick and what luxury and book would you choose.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I really don't know which 8 records I would take I love so much different music, one thing I am sure of is that I would refuse the Bible and the Works of Shakespeare, I find to get any pleasure from reading either I would need an accompanying library of Commentaries, Brown's (Yorks) Notes etc

I also find it a terribly old fashioned conceit on the behalf of the BBC that all people would want to take either or both, this may have been the case when the programme was first aired, but not today.

It is the same as the old fashioned idea on University Challenge that all students have an excellent knowledge of Classical music, why should they ? This attitude harks back to the time when only the rich went to Uni.

I have always held Aung San Suu Kyi in the highest esteem, she is one of those rare humans who believe so much in what they are doing that they will never give up, she is from the sames high level of human spirit as Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela, a great, and real, Lady.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Choosing 8 records is an impossibility but here's a stab at it...

Comfortably numb -Pink Floyd

Imagine - John Lennon

The logical Song - Supertramp

Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol

All along the Watch Tower - Jimmy Hendrix

Nothing compares to you - Sinead Connor

War Pigs - Black Sabbath

The Chain - Fleetwood Mac

The book I would choose would be "A brief history of time"

The luxury item - a bed with a Tempur Mattress

Share this

Google+