Scientologists break up families! Does this sound familiar?

by 00DAD 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I just watched a 2008 NBC Nightline special on Scientology. In it, there was an interview with ex-Scientologist and former SeaOrg member Astra Woodcraft.

Among other very interesting statements, she made this telling comment about Scientology:

"If they would just let people who wanted to be there, be there. And if someone wanted to leave, they let them leave. And if someone didn't like what was going on, they let them speak their mind, there wouldn't, … there'd be no story."

Sound like any other "religion" you know?

Nightline: Jenna Miscavige on Scientology 4/24/08 : 2 of 2

The quote is at 9:16"

• flipper
    flipper

Thanks for supplying this youtube. My wife referred to Scientologists as " JW's on steroids ". Their mind control is not quite as subtle as the WT mind control, more blatant - but also extremely dangerous. Thanks for making this thread

• Gayle
    Gayle

Interesting news video,,they have an "Ex-Scientologist kids.com" group. Maybe some day there will be an "ex-JW kids.com"

Kids growing up in a cult involves much more of their personality/psyche, than adult converts. Adults may have a 'base' of their real self, however, children in a cult don't get/have that base. To find that within themselves, takes more unraveling. It's going to be much more emotional and excruiating.

• Gojira_101
    Gojira_101

Kids growing up in a cult involves much more of their personality/psyche, than adult converts. Adults may have a 'base' of their real self, however, children in a cult don't get/have that base. To find that within themselves, takes more unraveling. It's going to be much more emotional and excruiating.

Gayle what you said really hits home to me because I was born into this cult and now almost to 30 years old I'm having to reevaluate EVERYTHING. Who am I? Do I even believe in a God? Is there any proof os a god? I mean I have been having to question everything I was taught growing up and this has been the hardest dang thing I've had to do in my life. I was always the good little witness girl and the only accomplishments I got praise on from most of my other JW family was when I was baptized at 10, started regular pioneering at 16, and then when I met this fine upstanding spiritual brother and we got married (You know, married in the lord). I was praised and told how good of a kid I was.

I was never praised for graduating HS at 16 and being the first one in my family ever to go to college and graduate at the hop of my class with honors at 20. Or soon after college I started my own business that is very successful and I can support my husband now while he goes to school and gets an education.

You are right it is much more emotional and excruiating for me than it is my parents who have left the JW's also. They came in young, but they weren't born in. I'm still having to deal with the JW thinking and trying to fix my thinking. And some days I still don't even know "who I am"

BTW that fine upstanding spiritual husband my family was so proud of that I married, he is now a dissident and has left the JW's with me and my parents. I just find that so ironic.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

As soon as I get a little time I would love to dig up some interesting Scientology stuff. I think it helps all of us understand the power of mind control

and "group think" better.

For some reason looking at other groups like the AMISH, Headhunters, and Scientologists is less painful and embarrasing.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

flipper, yeah, Scientologist are JWs on Steriods is right. I'm reading a book, Inside Scientology, by Janet Reitman. It's a great expose. I wish she'd write a similar on on JWs. It's interesting to read their tactics and practices. You're right, they are not as subtle. But that just makes it easier to see how bad JW beliefs are. Slightly less than completely evil is still ... completely evil!

Gayle, interesting comments about the "Ex-Scientologist kids.com" website. I don't know if you checked it out. Most of the members are adults that were raised as Scientologists.

Since my children were raised as JWs the impact of your statement really hit home:

I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how I can reach them and undo all the damage that has been done to them as a result of being raised a JW. I feel tremendous guilt for teaching them these beliefs. Recently I had this not too wonderful revelation in reference to being shunned by my own children

I understand that they are just acting according to their beliefs, beliefs which I taught them.

Apparently I was better at teaching beliefs than I was at teaching love. For that I am sorry.

Gojira_101, as someone raised a JW I really appreciate your comments. As I mentioned to Gayle above, I am trying to figure out how I can help reach my own children and undo the damage done. I'd welcome any and all suggestions you are willing to share. This is really important for myself and no doubt countless others, both parents and children.

Balaamsass, please share your findings. I'm sure we'll all find it enlightening.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

bttt for the Tuesday crowd!

• Londo111
    Londo111

marked

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Jenna was on The View this morning. I noticed as she was describing certain things in Scientology, which sounds awfully familiar with the Dubs, I think I noticed for the first time that they use the word Apostate as well, which is how she and her family are viewed.

But then again, I'm sure all Cults use that word for those that leave the following and start thinking on their own.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Londo, looking forward to your comments. I'm sure they'll be insightful!

ShirleyW, I would have liked to see that. You're absolutely right about the similarities between JWs and Scientologists. Scientologists are perhaps a bit more extreme about certain things, but it's only a matter of degrees. Insanity is insanity.

As far as I know, many cults use the term "apostate" to demonize any former members that have left the group. Steven Hassan comments on how this is one of the identifying marks of a cult. Even the ones that don't use that term generally have the practice of shunning former members and somehow labelling them in the most negative terms.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit