The Rise Of America's Lunatic Fringe

by metatron 29 Replies latest jw friends

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Being a member of the lunatic fringe does not hamper ones career prospects.

Consider the most prominent conspiracy theorist. She has done really well in mainstream politics, securing a Senate seat and a cabinet position, with serious consideration of the presidency.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwtkorQKGFE

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

She was also correct. Which you should really know, being a smart guy.

One need only look at the history of FOX NEWS to realize this.

• metatron
    metatron

Excellent post, scotoma.

I've felt the same way about Obama. Awful as he is, the Republicans don't offer any real choice.

metatron

• snowbird
    snowbird

There's one in east Alabama right now who's holding a little boy hostage in an underground bunker.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel
    She was also correct. Which you should really know, being a smart guy.
    One need only look at the history of FOX NEWS to realize this.

So that means conspiracy theories can be true, no matter how implausible they may sound.

JFK assasins, fake moon landing, flouridation, vast right wing, CIA drug smuggling, black helicopters, UN troop occupation, aliens, zombies.....we live in conspiracy nation.

• andrekish
    andrekish

The most glaring lunatic fringe isn't American, although they do practice lunacy to a remarkably proficient degree.

The most glaring lunatic fringe isn't democracy, although that lunacy is practiced with global proficiency.

The most glaring lunatic fringe isn't religious practice, although some religious ideas are clearly leagues beyond lunacy, (isn't that right Benedict 16th and the Daily Lama?).

The most glaring lunactic fringe is US LOT. WE HUMANS ALL IN A POT.

ALL OF US PUT TOGETHER INTO ANY ENTIRELY UNCONTROLLABLE SPECIES.

And between us all we've got this lunatic business down to a fine art and surprise, surprise, practice make perfect.

Armageddon is coming.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    So that means conspiracy theories can be true, no matter how implausible they may sound.

Can be true of course. No matter how implausible? Rarely. At some point evidence is going to begin to point one way or the other. It is embracing the theory to the point of ignoring logic or evidence that makes it lunatic fringe. Take the birthers. No matter how much evidence is shown, no matter how illogical the whole notion is to begin with, they can't let it go.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Consider the most prominent conspiracy theorist.

I'm not sure that qualified as a "theory."

Consider that the right wing faction were quite open about their plans for Clinton just as they have been about Obama (" The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.")

Therefore it is a demonstrated fact, not a theory.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I read a book a while back on the debunking the 9/11 truthers. The author made a good point that many if not most of these theories feed a pyschological need to impose order on a chaotic world. People want to believe that JFK was killed by the coordinated efforts of professionals because we don't want to think that any of us good be done in by one nut. The same sort of thing is the psychology behind the truthers.

I also think that the article lacked historical perspective, we've always had conspiracy theorists, when I was in Jr High-Highshool I can remember conspiracy ideas about JFK, ufo's, 100MPG cars blocked by oil companies, flouridation, etc.

I don't think political opposition counts as a conspiracy, or if it does every politician we've ever had as been the target of one.

• metatron
    metatron

What is the overall context within which these conspiracy theories are developed?

Did the US government lie about:

Vietnam

Watergate

Weapons of Mass Destruction or any significant threats from Iraq

The U-2 Incident

Missile gaps with the former Soviet Union

and so on

How about big companies? Did big banks operate document fraud factories?(60 Minutes). Have any big bankers gone to jail? Even one?

How many Americans think the government is lying about the economy? or terrorism generally?

Can you ever remember any Presidential election that seemed to be dominated by honesty?

In summary, the above is the context for conspiracy. And I've only scratched the surface.

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit