Your vs You're....Its vs It's....There vs Their..

by Terry 40 Replies latest jw friends

• likeabird
    likeabird
    But, does the continued slacking off have an unforeseen result?

It sure does when it comes to writing a group thesis and half the team can't be fussed to write it properly the first time round. The time it takes to check and correct a lazy writer, you could rewrite the whole thing yourself in less. (We're talking hours lost, not minutes.)

It drives me nuts as it is such a needless waste of time. Would rather have that time to waste elsewhere!

• crmsicl
    crmsicl

Terry you would probably enjoy this book:

Junk English
  • likeabird
    likeabird

Btw, in school last year, for each assignment 25% of our grade would be on spelling alone and another 25% on presentation and style. Sounds crazy, I know, but it sure gets you to pull your socks up!

• Terry
    Terry

Interesting James Joyce was one of William Faulkners influences.

Cormac McCarthy's editor was Faulkner's editor, too.

McCarthy's first book won the McArthur genius grant. He told Oprah in a rare interview that because of that he's never

actually had to "work" a day in his life.

(Sigh....)

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Good thread yet again Terry !

As an unreformed and unapologetic pedant I think spelling, grammar, and correct usage of words is important ,(should that be are important?), as the wrong meaning is so easy to pick up.

How often have we seen, "I could care less", when I think the writer means "I couldn't care less " ?

How often do people use totally the wrong word, often within an idiomatic saying, and therefore show their ignorance of etymology, but also change the meaning of the phrase ?

I think it is especially important whilst writing to people you are trying to influence, perhaps you are writing to the WT or perhaps a Government Minister say, your missive will be taken far less seriously if it is full of errors.

I receive many e-mails and letters from businesses trying to sell me something, if they can't be bothered to check their copy, how can I be sure they are bothered about the quality of their product or service ?

I am also annoyed by people who obviously cannot spell, and therefore say things like "Nuke U lar power" when they mean "nuclear power", the most ironic is when I hear them speak of "pronounciation", I have heard both on the BBC for f***s sake !

The BBC used to have a Pronunciation Unit , if it still exists, it is not working.

I wish I wasn't such a pedant, I'd rather be a pendant, and I know where I would like to nestle !

• titch
    titch

Proper grammar and word usage...The difference between "knowing your shit" and "knowing you're shit." Big difference. Its been stated. So THEIR.

Titch

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

I will use an expression that a friend told me once when I was focusing on trivial things:

"It's not about the fucking dog."

You live in a garage. I am not far from it.

As long as you can understand the poster, don't worry about it. There are bigger fish to fry.

zed

• scary21
    scary21

I need all the help I can get. I don't mind it if someone corrects me. I speak better than I write.

Born in a with a tenth grade education.......really ninth in English,

because I failed tenth grade English. No big deal .The big A was coming soooooon

Scary

• A.M. Number 1
    A.M. Number 1

when people mix up "then" and "than" it really bugs me for some reason. I just think this is one of the more obvious mistakes

judging from how different the two words are in meaning.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

How 'bout:

There saying its to warm in their to be running around bear nekkid.

Fix that 'un.

Sum folks shirley didnt lissen at the Theocratic Ministry School.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit