where will you go away to? versus whom shall we go away to?

by soft+gentle 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

this thread was sparked by punkofnice's thread and started a lively "discussion" in my mind about patriarchal power. So I didn't want to derail punkofnice's thread or tec's subsequent one, but am interested in a discussion.

punkofnice's thread

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/245335/1/The-GB-are-gods-mouthpiece-Rebuttal-to-elders

tec's thread

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/245354/1/GB-as-Gods-mouthpiece-3d

(John 6.68 says

But Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.)

to my fuzzy mind both questions in the title of this thread seem to talk to a desire for the exercise of patriarchal power in one's life but I may be very wrong as many here do not seem to be looking to exercise this sort of power or to have it exercised on them. so please enlighten me - I am open to discussions from atheist's and believers. The spirit in which I am raising this issue is the same as punkofnice - which is to stimulate discussion with Jehovahs witnesses eventually.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Why should i go to anyone else, is what i ask, when they ask that. Dubs think they need someone to lead them. Think that an invisible policeman (god) is needed to control people. Empathy, which is based on a mental construct that all people except psychos have, helps people. Once people mature and get things sorted out in their heads, they don't need a leader. A lot of people are too lazy or are afraid, and may not advance that far.

S

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The "Whom" has been subtly changed to "Where" in the WT controlled minds of JW's because the WT /GB has in their minds taken the place of Christ.

For Peter it was unthinkable that he should follow any person apart from Jesus, no one else, Peter knew, had "the sayings of everlasting life".

Jehovah's Witnesses mistakenly believe that their Publishing/Real Estate Corproration has the "sayings of everlasting life". As the "sayings" of the Watchtower differ in every aspect from what Jesus said, this simply cannot be so.

JW's could always start to follow Jesus if they wanted, I would suggest a better course of action would be to get out of a blasphemous lying religion, and then consider your next move after deep contemplation and education.

• carla
    carla

I don't think anything more could be added to Phizzy's post!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I had this convo with a real JW zombie elder. He asked me 'Where else will you go?'

Me: You just misquoted that scripture. It asks 'to whom', not where.

He looked at me deer in the headlights then reported me for 'apostacy'(TM). When I confronted him he denied reporting me. He's a liar as well as being a total twat.

There are a few thought stopping cliches they use. They use these because they think they're the ultimate answers because their minds were successfully stopped by them.

eg: Who else is preaching worldwide?

Who else doesn't go to war/kill their brother blah blah bleuch!

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

Isn't that what a abusive husband ask his beaten down wife when he senses that she is thinking about leaving him? "Where else will you go? No one loves you like I do, I do everything for you, you've got it good here, you don't know how bad it really is out there"

NJY

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

notjustyet

great point

patriachal power is usually about staying put even in abusive situations. In contrast Jesus is usually associated with coming and leaving. In fact at the point in the account when Peter asks whom shall we go away to? Jesus had asked his disciples if they wanted to leave too along with the many that had already just left him. The inference is that Jesus would not have pressured Peter to stay.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Question:

Whom shall we go away to?

Answer: Why does anyone have to go away to anyone or anywhere?

• Eustace
    Eustace

Answer: Why does anyone have to go away to anyone or anywhere?

JWs say " Whom shall we go away to?" as a way of saying there ain't no place else that'll give us eternal life other than being a JW. They're drawing a parallel between Jesus, the one the apostles said had "sayings of eternal life" and the Watchtower Society.

It's a really weird comparison when you think about it. To the believer, Jesus was the son of God and performed all kinds of amazing miracles. But to the believing JW, what is the Watchtower Society?

They aren't the son of God, and they haven't performed jack squat in the way of miracles.

If I was Jesus I'd be insulted by the comparison JWs are making when they quote that scripture.

• Eustace
    Eustace

Was Peter a Jehovahs' Witness?

No.

Was Peter a Christian?

Yes.

Therefore you don't have to be a Jehovah's Witness to be a Christian.

But JWs think you have to be because of the "false religion" meme being drummed into the heads.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit