Conversation with a Seminary Student in Starbucks today

by Terry 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

This is a distilled (and from memory) reconstruction of a chat this morning...

My 81 year old ex-Baptist minister friend Dub and I went to Starbucks for coffee and conversation. Dub likes to start conversations with strangers.

Today a Seminary student caught his eye. They talked for about half an hour before Dub dropped me into it. Dub described me as an ex-cult member who had spent time in prison! This sucked me in when the student addressed me directly. His name was Jason and he was in his final year in Dallas Baptist Seminary.

He: "Who or what is your idea of god?"

Me: "At one time I could speak confidently that I KNEW within a moral certainty exactly who god was, his Name and his purpose. Now, I have to laugh at my idiotic and egotistical self-deception! Any god that I--a mortal creature--could describe and know would always be unworthy of worship and far removed from reality. You know why? Because such a god would be more ME and my imagination. I'm ignorant. I don't and can't KNOW god. Anybody who tells me that they DO is somebody I view with caution. The way you'd treat a person who has been kidnapped and probed by aliens in a UFO."

He: "For a guy with no beliefs you have very strong beliefs!"

Me: "You and I don't use language the same way, I'm afraid. It makes communication accuracy almost impossible."

He: "Why do you say that?"

Me: "Because I live in a Post-Enlightenment world described by science with measurements and descriptions that are testable. You, as a Seminary student, are immersed in a Pre-Enlightenment world described by metaphor utterly elusive to testing except as an interpretation of an emotion."

He: "So you are alone in the Universe without direction, then. Doesn't that frighten you?"

Me: " I came through my mother's birth canal without a roadmap or a clue. Same as you, I suspect. On the one hand, Science had given us medicine, technology, space travel, triple-bypass surgery and anti-biotics while religion has given us talking snakes and donkeys, fluttering angels and malevolent devils. Which is closer to reality and progress and health and well-being?"

He: "But, we all die."

Me: "Well said! The religious person does die. No better or worse than the infidel."

He: "But, afterward the judgement!"

Me: "Afterward, the funeral!

Remember Jason, Muslims have the 42 virgins and Mormons have their own planet and Jehovah's Witnesses have a Paradise Earth according to belief--not according to reality. We can test a dead body for life. We can't test a belief; we can only assert it."

He: "We have the promises of the bible."

Me: "And the Koran and the Vedas, and the returning...returning...almost here....Jesus as well. I once had a friend who promised to split his Lottery winnings with me! You'll notice I did not drive up in a limousine!"

He: "Those Jehovah Witnesses really did a number on you, didn't they?"

Me: "I was the one who jumped in to the frying pan. I did it to myself."

He: "Why?"

Me: "Because I was a believer before I was a prover. I was a person of Faith rather than a person of due dilligence. I wanted pie in the sky bye and bye rather than a life of three score and ten and then a cemetary plot. It is called gullibility and greed for more than there really is. I was a glutton who could stuff a tasty promise in my gut and ask for whipped cream!"

He: "I've never heard anything like this before. You're a strange man. I don't mean to be insulting."

Me: "I'm non-threatening and have no agenda to carry out. I won't be spreading any false doctrines to young college students or instructing others to put whim and willy-nilly ahead of a reasonable skeptical inquiry, that's for sure."

He: "And how do you know for sure if you are right or not?"

Me: "The easiest test there is. I look at my own life. We need to be able to spot a phony even if he is staring back at us from our mirror! When I was a bible thumping, door knocking Jehovah's Witness I never improved anybody's life for even five minutes. I just parroted what I was told. It was a job like cleaning the bathroom. I was so busy wallowing in all that "Truth" I forgot to be real. Telling somebody something that isn't true---even if it is beautiful--is a terrible and cruel attempt at making the world a better place. I'd rather mind my own business when it comes to certainty and absolutes."

He: "Well....food for thought. I enjoyed talking with you. I have to go now."

See the kind of day you can have with Dub as your traveling companion? He will chat anybody up.

He'll excuse himself to go to the restroom and return an hour later having stopped to talk to some lady who was sitting reading a book!

Today's coffee shop chat is not unusual. Dub had had a go at the fellow before dropping me into it.

Afterward, Dub insisted that we were "meant" to go to that coffee shop that morning. God had sent us there to give that fellow something to think about.

I smiled.

Here I thought it was because my daughter had given me a gift certificate:)

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle
    He: "I've never heard anything like this before. You're a strange man. I don't mean to be insulting."

LOL!!! I enjoyed reading about your conversation, Terry. ^^^^^^^

• Tater-T
  • poppers
    poppers

Well, that was one fine read. Hope he will take some time to consider what you said rather than keeping his theological blinders firmly planted on his head.

• sabastious
    sabastious

I'm confused as to how you go from "I don't and can't KNOW god" to "Anybody who tells me that they DO is somebody I view with caution." I don't look at humans with such numerical precision because humanity is much more uncertain than certain. When someone tells you, "I know God" you should be naturally skeptical, however there is no hazard present that demands one proceed with caution just because someone makes such a claim. To make an assumption of hazard in this case it to CREATE hazard for all involved, leans on a stereotype and profiles a perfect stranger. Many people who claim to "know God" actually just know OF God and are embellishing their relationship.

-Sab

• Sherilynn
    Sherilynn

Terry,

I enjoyed your posts and yes I too can now laugh at myself

"Now, I have to laugh at my idiotic and egotistical self-deception!"

Sherilynn

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Nice one Terry. Did you get your bike fixed?

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I'm confused as to how you go from "I don't and can't KNOW god" to "Anybody who tells me that they DO is somebody I view with caution." I don't look at humans with such numerical precision because humanity is much more uncertain than certain. When someone tells you, "I know God" you should be naturally skeptical, however there is no hazard present that demands one proceed with caution just because someone makes such a claim. To make an assumption of hazard in this case it to CREATE hazard for all involved, leans on a stereotype and profiles a perfect stranger. Many people who claim to "know God" actually just know OF God and are embellishing their relationship.

-Sab

Very well said! Lilly

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

That Terry is cautious about people who claim they DO know god is not the focus of the post. To debate the statement about being cautious is to miss the point entirely!

The point so far as i can tell is that the believer cannot prove anything beyond their own assertations.

Oz

• Terry
    Terry

When someone tells you, "I know God" you should be naturally skeptical, however there is no hazard present that demands one proceed with caution just because someone makes such a claim.

I understand what you are saying.

My reference to "caution" flows from the difference between people with their feet on the ground versus people who are capable of ignoring the real world.

At one extreme we have devout practioners of Islam who will blow you up because you don't embrace their version of Allah. At the other extreme you have

mothers who will stand by and allow their children to die because of a blood transfusion refusal. Irrational=dangerous in certain contexts.

Now you may react very negatively at this and view me as the extremist. That's your call.

But, I have lost loved ones to fanaticism rooted in belief, faith and disregard for the here and now. How else should I proceed?

I know you've heard of the old proverb about the scorpion who begs to hitch a piggy back ride with a frog across a river...

"But, you'll sting me with your poison tail--why would I risk that?" the frog protests.

"Have faith, my froggy friend," the scorpion reasons, "If I sting you we both drown!"

This makes a world of sense to the frog and he agrees.

The scorpion climbs on the frog's back and into the river they go.

Halfway across the frog feels a sharp pain!

"What? I can't understand this," the panicked frog screams at the scorpion, "you've killed us both I feel the poison weakening me. We won't make it across. Why? Why?"

The scorpion shrugs. "What do you expect? I'm just staying true to what I am! It is what it is."

Moral of the story? Know that with "faith and belief" you are buying in to something that MAKES NO SENSE and can't be evaluated with common sense.

I am cautious with believers for that reason. The potential for an irrational act looms insidiously inside their mind.

The danger is vanishingly infinitesimal, I agree.....but, why be like that good-natured and reasonable frog?

Sorry that sounds so reactionary. Better safe than sorry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit