Love Thy Neighbor? Not my JW neighbors.

by jws 20 Replies latest jw friends

• perfect1
    perfect1

Not a big deal. Why do you need so much attention for such a minor act of kindness.

If you cant do it without applause dont do it.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

There is something about their religion that makes them tend to stand around and be dumbstruck unless some guy in a bad suit and higher rank is telling them in minute detail what they must do. Cut them some slack.

Watchtower Jehovah's Witness neighbors

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

You know very well Jehovah Witnesses are to stay away from any unnecessary worldy contact and your asking us? If you are expecting a "Thank You" from a Jehovah Witness, you are barking up the wrong tree expecting qualities of Christ from them. Pretty harsh I use a hasty generalization fallacy on JWs, but they are not getting better, I think their disappointment in End Times is making them bitter.

Your best bet is to let them be, I found the only good neighboors worldy people notice, are the accounts the Watchtower speaks of. I would hear complaints from apartment land lords there is no difference between the Witnesses and worldy people. With the worldy people you expect to be trampled on, with Witnesses their suppose to be good, your expectations are not met disappointment spreads.

If anyone has a Witness neighbor it's best to let them be, your going to be part of the "Great Feast Of the Vultures", most Witnesses don't want to be a neighbor and avoid any eye contact to avoid implied humanity. Knowing what I know now, I would not touch their trash cans and I would avoid them at all, otherwise you are setting yourself up for a disappointment you don't have to suffer. Remember what Forest Gump's Momma Said, I say that to myself to when I think people change.

• ndmom73
    ndmom73

This topic reminded me of growing up with an odd neighbor. She was a larger woman and was a bit flamboyant. She would happily mow her lawn in an itty bitty bikini. My JW mom was disgusted to say the least. She would make rude comments and was outright nasty while peering through the front window. Her words were embarrassing as were the silly comments my dad would make to get a rise out of my mom. Anyway, one summer we had a tornado heading our way. As we lived in a trailer we had nowhere to go and my dad was at work. The neighbor stopped over to see if we had somewhere to go and took us to her mom's house close by to find safety in her basement. I remember feeling embarrassed because I know there was no way my JW mom would have taken this worldy woman into shelter with us.

I am so thankful today for all of my "worldy" neighbors who were there for me when my husband passed away, who drive my kids to school when the weather is bad, who snowplow my sidewalk, dispose of dead birds, share margaritas, scold my kids if they are doing something dangerous, bring their puppies over for a visit, in fact they have even brought up my empty garbage cans so that they don't blow away. It is amazing to think that there are "worldly" people all over the world who are loving, caring, giving, generous people. Not because they have to be but because they don't have a governing body warning them about the "evils" of those who just happen to be different from them.

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Why are you keeping track of all the good deeds you do for your neighbor, think of who it sounds like and you get the joke.

Trash can lids pulled off the street for the month. 5

Trash Cans Pulled Back To Their House This Month 6

Overflowing Trash Cans I helped with 6

Picking up trash from their side of the Street 4 Times

Total Return Visits for December 2012 16

• poppers
    poppers

"most Witnesses don't want to be a neighbor and avoid any eye contact to avoid implied humanity."

Boy that's the truth. I've lived 2 doors away from JWs for at least 30 years and I can't remember a single instance of them acknowledging my existence with a simple hello, unless I say it first. It goes without saying they don't even look my way when we are outside at the same time. It's actually kind of creepy.

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

"poppers" Who better to see the results of your good behaviour than your neighbors of the Hood? I lived on a street of worldy people and we knew everyone fairly decent, none of them were JWs and we had a idea of sixteen houses, who the people were. We were friendly and helped do good deed, now times are different from that time but we can still be good? Not all JWs are this way, the Spanish JWs are a little different, they are from Countries that are not gifted at turning everyone in your village off. We had a Spanish JW and this guy was like "jws", always looking for ways to help the neighborhood be a better place.

For thirty years the JWs who occupy a home in a house never spoke to any of their neighbors because they felt it was wrong. "What does light and dark have in common? Belial and Christ?" My screwed up relative would let their homes go up in fire, without calling the fire department, and think she had done a good deed. I know there a good neighbor JWs, it's the Watchtower's dehumanization program that allows us to turn into a Levite or Jew in the parable of the "Good Samaritian".

What will it take for others to see how the religion turns them into mindless zombies who think the are sexy for their Hood?

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
  • jws
    jws

perfect1 wrote:

If you cant do it without applause dont do it.

I guess you're right. And generally I feel the same way. Acts of kindness don't need something in return. I'm not really looking for a thank you. Would be nice, but not necessary. I guess the biggest thing is a sort of "I've got your back type of thing". Sometimes their trash has been very full (lid won't even close) and they're obviously gone. If it doesn't go out on that day, next week there's going to be nowhere for them to put their trash. So I've got them covered.

Maybe I just wish somebody would have my back when I'm away.

ArbolesdeArab wrote:

Why are you keeping track of all the good deeds you do for your neighbor, think of who it sounds like and you get the joke.

Yes, LOL!

But seriously, I have no idea how many times I've helped them and don't keep track. And it's not every week or even most weeks. All I know is the contrast. However many times I've helped them over the past 10 years to NONE.

And the reason I bring it up as a topic here is not because it's just eating away at me. Believe me, this is not something that generally enters my consciousness at any other time than when I'm taking the trash out to the curb or bringing the bins back.

The main reason I wanted to bring this up is that I think it's a real-world specific example of something that's typical of JWs.

Within the JWs, there's a sense of helping their own, not really helping anybody else. Like natural disasters. If they send help, it's usually only to help their own. Many don't give to charity, feeling sometimes that their field service is a great act of charity in itself. It's just a culture of not giving back. At least not to outsiders, no matter how much they receive from them.

• rowan
    rowan

I don't think this has to do with their religion. It's being an airhead, I think. It's really nice for you to take out their trash, but if it irks you... it's really not your job to do that for them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit