"The Hobbit" in 3-D

by compound complex 10 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

WOW!

The fantasy world of Tolkien/Jackson hit me in the face!

If you saw the film, please share your thoughts.

Thanks.

CoCo

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I hear it's going to be a 3 part movie. Is that true?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Yes, wha . . .

The Hobbit:

An Unexpected Journey (current)

The Desolation of Smaug (December 2013)

There and Back Again (July 2014)

Thanks.

CC

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I can see the trilogy getting it's own movie for each book, but how do they split that book up?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Wha:

Still reading up on Jackson's decision to divide it three ways.

Back soon.

CC

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

My wife and I saw "The Hobbit" and found it enjoyable and entertaining. Got us out of the house and helped me clear my mind of all this JW fantasy stuff.

We saw it in 3-D and the effects are quite amazing. We have a 3-D 55" TV at home, so like "Avatar" we will probably see it several times over the next few years - just because it is 3-D.

If you accept it as fantasy in the same way you do a James Bond movie or "guy in loin cloth and a sword takes on a herd of T-rexes, kills them all, isn't scratched or out of breath, and is ready to take on the Transformers from outer space waiting for him around the next corner - then you will enjoy it.

I found in hard to keep all of the various good trolls, dwarfs, elves, bad trolls and assorted other disfigured monsters with unlimited resources straight in my head. You simply have to suspend your beliefs as far as what damage a human/dwarf body can take, how far down a cliff someone can fall without breaking a bone, and how a sword that is less than 3 feet long can decapitate a creature with a neck 10 feet thick. Don't ask questions or let science or reality creep into your movie enjoyment.

Oh, damn!!! Did I just give it all away? Damn me all to hell!!!!!

I guess I'm just getting old...

"Skyfall," on the other hand was totally believable.

JV

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Juan! Enjoyed your commentary. I grew up with SF and fantasy of the 50s -- suspend disbelief. But wasn't some of it real?!?!?

Yes . . . "Skyfall" was believable.

CC

• Pterist
    Pterist

Great 3D, and special effects with wise use of the ever evolving digital technology. However, the storey line was uneventful.

• blondie
    blondie

We went to it in 3D IMAX...was one of the few we went to that really seemed 3D, I ducked several times. Never read the Hobbit or the Lord of the Rings...no jw prejudice, just more into hard science than fantasy. But I look forward to the next 2 movies. I enjoyed it more than the Hunger Games.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I had the option of 3-D or regular. I went with regular. I try to avoid 3-D. It was okay. I preferred the LOTR movies. Half of the movie seemed to essentially be backstory. The Hobbit just seemed to be simply a setup for the next two movies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit