I have no honor

by bohm 12 Replies latest jw friends

• bohm
    bohm

It occured to me on my way to work this morning that the concept of honor is rather silly at best, and more often quite dangerous if you really believe you have it.

Think about it, what good is honor supposed to do?

Right of the bat we can all name a number of really stupid things which are associated with honor: honor killings, for instance, where a member of the family is murdered for insulting the families honor (you wonder how the honor ever actually tells people it has been offended), or duels which was a sport between aristocrats. Then there is the honor of dead people which can linger on for centuries, a certain prophet comes to mind, and it seems even dead objects like flags, banners, documents or nations can have honor which can be invoked to kill or maim others.

What are the legitimate invocation of honor as a reason to act a certain way? When is honor not simply equivalent to legitimizing poor sence of humor, hypersensitivity or lack of impulse control? If a person says something offensive to one, its wrong because it is hurtfull and honor play no part of the equation, and if one do something to help others because of ones honor, should one not still strive towards doing good for the sake of doing good?

When a person says: "I have honor", what does that really mean, effectively? Which situation can that person think of where he would react in a different way did he not have honor?

The only ones I can think of are situations where I might invoke honor as a way to act differently than i would advice others to do, so I think the term should just be done away with.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Please define honor.

Is your honĀ·or?

1. honesty, fairness, or integrity in one's beliefs and actions: a man of honor. 2. a source of credit or distinction: to be an honor to one's family. 3. high respect, as for worth, merit, or rank: to be held in honor. 4. such respect manifested: a memorial in honor of the dead. 5. high public esteem; fame; glory: He has earned his position of honor.

To me my honor requires me to make decisions daily that are aligned to principles that I value. If I have no principles than I would not care about my decisions nor their consequences.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• bohm
    bohm

ABS: To me my honor requires me to make decisions daily that are aligned to principles that I value.

Morals and conscience move me to do those things. Honor play no role in it.

• cofty
    cofty

Steven Pinker rightly observes that honour only exists because everybody thinks that everybody else thinks it exists.

It has been, and continues to be, responsible for countless murders and revenge killings

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

I guess I believe in the first definition of honor, " honesty, fairness, or integrity in one's beliefs and actions: a man of honor."

Some how I do not believe that a person, who believes in honesty, fairness, or integrity in one's beliefs and actions, would commit murder and revenge killings. Morals are what I value, my conscience gives me fedback about whether I am being moral, and my honor is whether I follow my conscience or do the opposite instead of being honorable.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Satanus
    Satanus

Beliefs - thankfully the load of beliefs that humans drag around is diminishing. Belief is way overhyped.

I agree, honor is another artificial construct, up the w aspartame, pcb's and god. Respect where due is a natural, though. Respect things like lightening, the ocean, life, other beings, etc, etc.

S

• still thinking
    still thinking

Honour in itself is not a virtue...

If someone says there is honor among thieves, this means that even corrupt or bad people sometimes have a sense of honor or integrity, or justice, even if it is skewed. Read more at http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/honor+among+thieves.html#A1CIOofPxAsSRuiZ.99
  • Fernando
    Fernando

"You have done or said something that is outside my frame of reference or worldview.

Because I don't understand or agree it must be wrong.

Now I am afraid, angry and threatened.

I shall have to kill you, so that my life can return to normal."

Where is the honour in that????

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

I prefer the word "respect," which carries more weight. The meaning of honor changes amongst peoples and cultures. Respect should stay the same.

• still thinking

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit