The account of Ananias and Sapphira at Acts 5 categorically proves the Bible is not inerrant

by yadda yadda 2 58 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

PLease note the passages:

Peter accuses Ananais of LYING to the HS, that the lie has to do with money is irrelevant to the fact that he lied:

3 But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the price of the land? 4 While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.”

As for his wife, Peter knew that she knew the truth so he asked her and what did she do? Lie.

8 And Peter responded to her, “Tell me whether you sold the land for such and such a price?” And she said, “Yes, that was the price.” 9 Then Peter said to her, “Why is it that you have agreed together to put the Spirit of the Lord to the test? Behold, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out as well.” 10 And immediately she fell at his feet and breathed her last, and the young men came in and found her dead, and they carried her out and buried her beside her husband.

The issues was not that they kept some of the money, the issue was they lied.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Why did they feel they had to lie. Guilt for keeping some for themselves? We can keep all our money if we so wish but we will be judged adversely for it if any-one found out.

• wolfman85
    wolfman85

Satan filled their hearts. May be was Satan himself that killed them to make some blame God. Maybe even Peter believed it was God.

• heathen
    heathen

Maybe some people just can't seem to follow the story . Saints are not supposed to lie , maybe the holy spirit was the only thing keeping them alive and when GOD withdrew it they died from ailments that were inflicted by nature .. sounds like heart disease to me ... mmm I don't think the church invented the story since they are the greedy party these days. The money was to be used to share with food and necessities not for some millionair preacher to buy a new car or house

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

If one chooses to interpret the implication of divine punishment, one most certainly can.

My point is simply that it is NOT stated as such.

Maybe they died from a heart attack because of being caught in a serious lie, or maybe their death was brought upon because they realized what they had done, how they blasphemied the HS ( and being well aware of the issue with that, they died on the spot), or whatever.

Point being is that nowhere is it stated that they died via a direct act from God, Jesus, the HS or even Peter for that matter.

I respect you too much and think you are a nice person, so I will just state that in my opinion, this is complete nonsense and borders on insulting my intelligence. this is like when jw's say no where in their publications does it say the GB is spirit inspired. so we can agree to disagree.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

who would serve a god like this?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

It is nice to see tec and PS haven't lost the JW ability to do all sorts of mental gymnastics to justify horrendous actions by a "loving" god in the Bible.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

PSacramento,

It is unlike you but you are adding stuff that is not in the scripture. First, who was notice what the Holy Spirit was? This is truly early Christianity. What is sinning against the Holy Spirit. I see no definiton of sin. I repeat that it is more than odd that there was no coincidence. This story bolsters one theme that I don't believe existed yet. Obey or else.

I was taught that God protects me b/c I am baptized. Jesus said his load was light. He was the way to freedom.

If they just died, why is the word "awed" used. Nowhere does the scripture say what you say it does. It looks like yet another example of making a theory first and interpreting scripture to fit your viewpoint. You usually are much better than in this case.

Please correct the rest of us who find something completely opposite in the scripture. Isn't it handy dandy when scripture means what you've already decided it should be. Who the heck even cares about this couple? Acts was written purposefully. The inclusion of the story is not accidental and neither is the moral. Obey. Obey lest Peter or the Holy Spirit smite you. Don't hold back less than a penny. Christian freedom at its finest.

I fear that you believers will make me an atheist b/c I read the text and I swear I do not see what you insist is there.

• tec
    tec

It is nice to see tec and PS haven't lost the JW ability to do all sorts of mental gymnastics to justify horrendous actions by a "loving" god in the Bible.

Neither tec nor Psac (if I remember correctly) was ever baptized as a jw.

I fear that you believers will make me an atheist b/c I read the text and I swear I do not see what you insist is there.

The only person who can 'make' you an atheist is yourself.

Not that there is anything wrong with atheists. But if your faith is in Christ, if you know Him, then there is nothing that anyone else can do to take that away from you.

As for what is 'seen' here... the only thing that those of faith on this thread have stated is that neither God nor Christ struck those two down; and the account does not state that they did. I assume that you also do not think that God nor Christ killed A & S. So what is the problem?

Peace,

tammy

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    The only person who can 'make' you an atheist is yourself.

Hogwash. No one can make anyone an atheist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit