Jesus said: "You received free--give FREE" So, did he not know?

by Terry 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

So, the apostles and disciples tithed to Jesus, then?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

you mean jesus could not predict that printing mags was cost $$$$

he could not predict that homes or halls cost $$$$$ to build, and cost $$$$$ to keep heated/maintained?

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

So, the apostles and disciples tithed to Jesus, then?

If that's a response to what I wrote, it's a total non sequitur. I only mentioned tithing in relation to Herbert Armstrong's Worldwide Church of God, since you asked how his "free" literature distribution was financed. I never said anything about the apostles and disciples tithing to anyone.

Jesus and the disciples, as faithful Jews under the Law, would have tithed to the temple as required. But from the sources I cited, it does appear that they received support (not tithes) from followers who had the means to assist. We need not conclude that Jesus miraculously made food every time they needed a meal. They apparently lived on donations. You seem to be implying that if God is not doing miracles to support a work, it should not exist. God provides, but he generally uses human means to do so.

you mean jesus could not predict that printing mags was cost $$$$

he could not predict that homes or halls cost $$$$$ to build, and cost $$$$$ to keep heated/maintained?

Again, this comment doesn't make sense if it's a response to what I wrote. The biblical precedent for the support of the Lord's work, including the ministry, is through voluntary donations. It's a theme that appears over and over again in the NT. Of course, Jesus would have known that ministry costs money to support, whatever from it takes. His own ministry had expenses - that's why they maintained a money box that Judas was able to steal from.

I'll reiterate - Terry's original citation of Matthew 10:8 was out of context and his implied application of it (as requiring that all funding for ministry had to be provided miraculously) was contrary to the context. Jesus told his disciples to "give free" with regard to miraculous works of the Spirit, not with things that they themselves had not "received free," i.e., the normal expenses of conducting a ministry, whether that be travel expenses, printing literature, maintaining places of worship, or support of those doing the ministry.

This doesn't simply apply to religious ministries, either. Many secular charities, and even organizations for the advancement of atheism, survive on donations. There's nothing wrong with the concept, and it works.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

Terry >> Why do JW's accept contributions?

A.: By accepting contributions JWs are graciously extending to householders an opportunity to make wise use of their material resources. The WTBTS will lighten your burden and manage the money for you if you let them.

Source:

11 Consider, too, what we extend to people with whom we place Bibles or Bible-based literature when we proclaim the Kingdom message and explain to them that we accept contributions to the worldwide work done by Jehovah’s people. Are we not extending to them an opportunity to make wise use of their material resources? Though the original application of Luke 16:10 concerns the use of material resources, the principle stated there also applies in other areas of life.

Question
    11. Why should we not hold back from explaining to householders that we accept contributions to the worldwide work done by Jehovah’s Witnesses?

w05 7/15 p. 28 par. 11 Are You Faithful in All Things?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit