How long did it take you to prepare for talks or parts in the KM school?

by OneDayillBeFree 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I was like blondie took no time for me to get/develope a talk. I 've gotten 45 minute outlines together in 5 minutes.

One of my roomates at bethel used to get mad at me because he would bust his ass in the library studying and doing research for a service meeting part and I would get out a public talk the morning I was spose to give it simply by listening to george krantz din da da.

Link

• happy@last
    happy@last

I would do a lot of research before preparing a talk in order to do it justice. As acrough guide I'd spend 1 hour prep for every 5 minutes of the talk. I could however give a talk at the drop of a hat, a number of times my name was announced for a talk or item and it was the first I knew of it, but still got up and did it.

• biometrics
    biometrics

When I was younger the brother I studied with 'helped' me to prepare for talks. He'd make me practice for about two hours, and pick every single fault.

The giving of a talk, and the subsequent public fault finding is nothing more than a power trip.

• likeabird
    likeabird

Never really thought they took me that long until I woke up and discovered I could literally write them out in less time than it took to actually give them.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

As little time as possible. Even when I was a true believer I found it excruiating when paired with a sister who would insist on rehursing it again & again and again and again etc

• perfect1
    perfect1

Well I was a kid- started when I was about 6 years old, Always an overacheiver. It took me a long time. What a dumb thing for a kid to be doing. Should be getting socialized with other kids. Almost over it now.

Kinda.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

They asked me all the time. I'd get to the hall and they'd say "Hey, Bro. Noshow isn't here. Can you fill in for his talk?" I'd look up a few points and was good to go. Would take me less than 5 minutes.

perfect, I was 6 when I started too.

• eva luna
    eva luna

I dont ever remember writing one. LOL

My mom always did them. I joined the Ministery School at 6 years old. She contiuned to do them until I moved out. She could write them out in an hour.

Later, changing congregations so often, I always asked/begged to just be a house holder. I hated everything about talks. Just getting that slip kept me up for nights.

I would imagine all the things I would rather do instead of a talk, like going to the dentist and haveing work done with out a pain shot.

Sometimes when I see 4x5 cards I still get the heebee jeebees

I see alot of kids started at 6

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Oh, you men are so fortunate. I don't know how long it took. It greatly interfered with school work. I was a tween and teenager. Some of the topics were so weird. Fortunately, I had access to an extensive WT library at home. I would research like crazy and then my mom would help me organize. I was more afraid of the MS than any test at school. The week before I could not focus on school work and I felt so nauseous.

Finding a householder who would not wing it was hard. Everything was memorized. Looking back, i wonder if they were trying to throw me. The comments they made had little to do with the content.

My bro. had it so easy. All he had to was explain the material. Oh, and everyone ooahed and aaahed b/c he had a penis.

Our KH was rarely open. What did people do to prepare these talks before the Internet.

Did the MS servant actually research the topic to see if you interpreted it correctly?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I wrote my first actual talk at 8 years of age. Before then my mom wrote them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit