Making tomato sauce....

by JWOP 12 Replies latest jw friends

• JWOP
    JWOP

Not sure where I should post this?

Last year I got into home canning. This year I SOOOOO want to make homemade tomato sauce, but I'll need a food mill to do it because it's too time consuming to de-seed 52 jars worth of tomatoes.

I've been online looking at customer reviews for various brands and models, but now I'm just a muddled mess.Reviews speak about multiple uses and the pros and cons, but I only want it for tomato sauce/spaghetti sauce.

Do any of you use a food mill for homemade tomato sauce?
    If so, what do you recommend?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I just make it fresh, sorry.

• Mary
    Mary

Actually, I use canned crushed tomatoes. It saves alot of time. I sautee some chopped onions and garlic, then I add the crushed tomatoes, a bit or red wine, kosher salt, pepper, a bit of parsley and oregano. Cook on low for about 30 or 40 minutes and it's done.

• Glander
    Glander

Use a "ricer" cone and wooden pestle. Easy and not an expensive utensil.

http://foodperson.com/2007/09/03/the-right-tool-makes-sauce-a-snap/

• finally awake
    finally awake

First, you blanch the tomatos for 2 minutes - cut the stem end out first. Plunge into ice water, then slip the skins off. Throw the whole peeled tomatos into a pot and simmer for a while. After they are very soft and broken up, run them through the blender very briefly. Then use the Foley mill - a hand cranked strainer thing - to get the seeds out. Then season and simmer until thick enough. Makes perfect sauce every time.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

GEEZ that sounds like a lotta work.

Seems easier to run down to Winn Dixie.

Doc

• AnneB
    AnneB

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/victorio-food-strainer-makes-awesome-tomato-sauce

I've used this tomato strainer and it's absolutely worth it. Check around online, read what other people have to say, then check again for prices...eBay is *not* the cheapest, but it's a great place to look for parts if you should ever need them.

The best thing about this tomato strainer is that there is so very little waste. It's beyond easy to use, it doesn't make a mess.

Remember to save the extracted seeds for planting! :)

AB

• JWOP
    JWOP

Thanks everyone! I'm a-gonna check out the links. :)

Yeah, it is easier to buy the already made stuff, but hubby is diabetic and thus on a low salt, low sugar diet, so I've been home canning our own foods so we can control the salt and sugar factors. I'm aiming to can 52 quart jars of sauce to get a year's worth out of the way once tomatoes come into season. I'm planning my garden, and am trying to figure out how many tomato plants and blah blah blah. (Gettin' my homework done first though, LOL!)

• eva luna
    eva luna

Hi JWOP

Good for you on taking up canning and gardening. Good canned tomatoes are so expensive. Oragano grows well, almost like a weed. The canning, I greatly admire , I just havent found the patience for it ,,,yet.

You have some great suggestions here.

For a simple Mother sause...I like to start with about 20 cloves of chopped garlic and saute until golden in oilive oil, alot of olive oil. be careful not to burn it or it gets bitter . For some sweetness you can finally grate some carrot. I use REAL Salt, a good sea salt that is full of trace minerals. Some black pepper. I use 2, 32 ounce canned crushed tomatoes.

Are your tomatoes peeled? If not, you can peel and quater them. mashing them with an old fashioned potatoe masher. Add them to the garlic and oil. Simmer this for an hour or more. If you are worried about the carbs you can use broiled zucchini, sliced lenght wise and other vegetables instead of pasta and make a lasagna with ricotta with a little wisked egg and spices, or fresh Mozzerlla and pecorino.

I like your name...Smile.. but I always read it J-WOP.

Ciao,

e-wop

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I guess if you can't stand the thought of having seeds in it you gotta' strain it somehow, seems like a lot of work for not much return.

I do what finally awake suggested but leave the seeds in.

Other than that it's Mary's recipe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit