Is DISMISSING others a really really BAD habit?

by Terry 19 Replies latest social relationships

• Terry
    Terry

A wise old friend of mine was was a police interrogator gave me some tips.

People who aren't in love with the facts are lazy thinkers and offer their version of what is true as beyond question.

When you begin to ask for back-up evidence, examples, particulars and specifics an intellectually honest person gives them without becoming angry or defensive. A bull-shitter can't stand being challenged.

Saying what you think is true allows you to remain humble.

Making stuff up and getting called out on it makes you pissed off!

The number one trait a police interrogator looks at is "attitude" toward being asked to verify what you say.

Quick tempered=liar more often than not.

Not an absolute by any means--but, a handy tool.

And speaking of absolutes--another thing he told me was extremely interesting!

When a person is deliberately lying while trying to convince you they are telling the truth they do two things invariably.

1.They use more formal language. "I did not" instead of "I didn't". As in "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Monica Lewinsky."

2.The liar over-states their own reliableness. "I'm a thousand per cent sure this is true." A hundred percent is plenty:)

Or, "I would never in a million years steal money from......"

Exaggeration and over-formality......intringuing....

• tec
    tec

Good thread, Terry. I think all of those things in the list are virtues... in the proper situation.

I won't try and discount what your friend has come to know. Just want to add that the 'not' can apply to those who are used to not being believed (even though they do not lie), or who are used to being dismissed or attacked (when they do not lie).

Peace,

tammy

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I think I take a reasonable view in the gun control debate.... and both sides hate me for it.

/Gun owner

/supports Obama's executive orders

• still thinking
    still thinking

2.The liar over-states their own reliableness. "I'm a thousand per cent sure this is true." A hundred percent is plenty:)

Like stating that "I speak the truth"...or "I would not lie to you"

Most people just state their position or make their comment, they don't constantly reaffirm their own statements by telling people it is "THE TRUTH"

• moshe
    moshe
    = THEY ARE TAKING YOUR GUNS.. any discussion is dismissed...

Bullets, that is what I want to keep!

• Terry
    Terry

TEC says:

I won't try and discount what your friend has come to know. Just want to add that the 'not' can apply to those who are used to not being believed (even though they do not lie), or who are used to being dismissed or attacked (when they do not lie).

Hmmm, do I detect a violent outburst in the making, Tammy?

• tec
    tec

• talesin
    talesin

Ridicule is the NUMBER ONE tactic used by lazy thinkers.

Demonize the "other" fellow and make the opponent's arguments unworthy of audience.

This is the DISMISSAL tactic a nutshell.

Terry, I agree, totally.

As I said to someone privately, just the other day. When a person chooses to ridicule, those listening SHUT DOWN. It's not only rude, it doesn't 'win' anyone over.

xo

tal

• talesin
    talesin

Which ones would you get rid of and which would you keep?

YOU first!

• wasblind
    wasblind

LOL @ Moshe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit