Glaring omission in yesterday’s Watchtower Study

by Bloody Hotdogs! 46 Replies latest watchtower bible

• steve2
    steve2

Sulla responded to my reference to "today's standards" as follows:

Today's standards? Well, the complaint that the Hebrew scriptures are full of stories of a wrathful God

doing horrible things through nasty and brutish agents is a pretty old one. Marcion, for example, figured

that the OT God was a different dude from the NT God entirely for exactly this reason. So, it isn't exactly

like we've raised our standards.

On the contrary, it is precisely "today's standards" and a raising of these standards into law that more sharply than ever before exposes the significant chasm between "old testament" thinking and "our" superior human rights standards.

Human rights, including those for minorities such as ethnic and religious groups, women and non-heterosexuals, have "only" been acknowledged and enshrined in law in (many) Western countries in the past five or six decades. Their recency stands out.

So Sulla, your statement that "complaints" about the violence of the Old Testament are not new is correct on one level (e.g., the New Testament was a relative "improvement" on the blood-soaked pages of the Old) but on another level (e.g., the increased awareness in many countries about the need to protect human rights) you miss the point that I could have made clearer.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

One brother commented that God killed the child because the Law demanded justice (eye for and eye, life for a life). Silly, in my opinion. So David commits these sins, adultery and murder. God kills the child, but another child through the same adulterous relationship is an ancestor of Jesus (Solomon). I don't get that one.

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Well, God is planning on killing a lot of arrogant and judgmental people at Armageddon and later on Judgment Day, too. Billions, I suppose. Lots of people who think they are worthy, but actually are not as far as God is concerned.

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Interesting, with all that passion and lust with Bath Sheba, David still said the love of Jonathan was sweeter than that he had had with any woman.

I think a lot of people also miss the point of the history found in the Bible, which is to try to see how God sees things, which can ultimately help us not to get whacked and to try to please him.

Some of these things, taken superficially can be had to understand. Case in point, the Jews and God's covenant with them. The 'great tribulation" was brought by God against the descendants of the Jews for them breaking God's covenant was the Holocaust.

God is very, very nice and wonderful to those whom he approves of. But he is very hard on others.

Even so, God understands he is not everyone's cup of tea. One-third of the angels, as we are reminded, who could see God directly decided to join Satan. 1/3 is not a majority but it's not a small percentage, either.

You know, in the end, if you value life, one learns how to see things God's way.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

what an evil bunch...the 70000 probably deserved do die for some undesclosed sin anyway, so it was ok.

holy shit man, thats messed up thinking. how could my mother have fallen for that? I wish i had seen the glaring inconsistencies mant years ago.

You know, it makes me think of a father that comes home from work, lines up all the kids and belts the crap out of them, because they must surely have done something horrid that day that deserved it.

Oz

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

Name of suspect: David, King

Offenses committed: Murder, 1st degree; Conspiracy to commit murder

Victim: Uriah (no surname)

Details of crime: Suspect observed victim's wife bathing, whereupon he decided to eliminate victim in order to marry victim's wife. Suspect accomplished this by influencing victim's military status, such that victim stood a much higher chance of being killed in action, which is what occurred. Suspect was apprehended after a long investigation. Suspect was released on his own recognizance, pending initial court hearing.

Signed,

Parakeet, Detective I, JPD (Jerusalem Police Department)

• steve2
    steve2

Larsinger58 sang the praises of doing what "God" wants,presumably regardless of what "God"wants:

You know, in the end, if you value life, one learns how to see things God's way.

Well, yes, there is a load of wisdom in obeying anyone or anything that is mightier than you; indeed it'd be foolish not to.

It has nothing to do with 'being right'and everything to do with being mightier.

To paraphrase the English wit whose name has suddenly escaped me:

"Give me my way in absolutely everything - and you'll never meet a more pleasant [god]."

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I believe that the death of David and Bethsheba's child wasn't a punishment. Here's how I think it happened:

God saw that the child was fatally malformed, and oportunistically told David that the child would die because of his sin, in order to make him and Bethsheba feel guilty. Given this information, the writer of 1 Samuel concluded that it was God that struck the child. That God could kill that little baby for the sins of others, moreso being their chosen people, is too hard to believe.

Shocking at it may seem, I find this easier to explain than the death of the 70.000 because of David's census.

I believe that the God of the OT is the same as the Father of Jesus in the NT, but He became much more civilized as ages went by because of his dealings with other intelligent beings, angels and humans.

Eden

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I believe that the God of the OT is the same as the Father of Jesus in the NT, but He became much more civilized as ages went by because of his dealings with other intelligent beings, angels and humans.

Oh...and what about the now enlightened jehovah, the now civilized jehovah and his plans to blot out most of humanity?

Oz

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

That remains to be seen ... remember Jehovah's plans for Niniv, and how he changed his mind about it (leaving Jonah pissed off in the process)

Eden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit