New World Translation

by MsD 69 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

Wasn't Gangas Greek?

Of course, Biblical Greek is different than modern Greek, but he may have been able to contribute something.

But just by reading the tortured and overly literal language in some parts of the NWT, you can tell that Fred Franz was the principal author.

• caliber
  • ellderwho
    ellderwho

The NWT being central to what is wrong with the org, only to have thousands of books magazines further bastardize Christianity. I thinks its the "Live Forever" book that has Christ "finding another body with the same wounds in it" to appear to everyone, what a joke, absolute joke.

• scotoma
    scotoma

There are definitely certain terms or phrases in the NWT that are suggestive of Fred Franz. Fred definitely seemed to be located somewhere in the Autistic spectrum or had obssessive compulsive disorder.

I have a friend who is a former JW and has a Masters degree that required knowledge of ancient Hebrew. He felt the NWT was an excellent translation even though he had problems with some of the language.

One thing he didn't like is the translation of the expression that indicates someone obeyed "he did just so". The Hebrew simply says a person was told to do something and they proceeded to do it. The idea that they followed instructions down to the most miniscule detail was never implied. This was evidence of Franz's OCD.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I don't think we have mentioned it yet - but the greatest travesty of the NWT was the wholesale insertion of the pet name "Jehovah" into places where it never existed in ANY ancient manuscript.

This was done purely because the Jehovah's Witnesses have a total fixation on this (inaccurate) name "Jehovah".

There is no excuse for this.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Every single bible translation has the list of th ename sof those people involved in the translation process.

Except the NWT of course.

As stated before, the NWT is NOT a horrible translation, it is simply an "ok" one at best with quite obvious doctrinal biasis.

Of course that may be said of other translations as well.

The NWT is a re-work of the ASV that the JW's used to use before they came out with the NWT, it is basically the ASV with additions and re-translations to be more in-line with JW doctrine.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I've heard the New Jerusalem bible is a careful, literal translation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jerusalem_Bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I like the NRSV, NASB, NJB but it is important to understand the biasis that ALL translations have.

Honestly, for the layperson I don't know how much it really matters.

• caliber
    caliber

I like the NRSV, NASB, NJB but it is important to understand the biasis that
    ALL translations have.

......so I add these thoughts concerning KJV Bible

Archbishop Bancroft insisted on having a final say, making fourteen changes, of which one was the term "bishopricke" at Acts 1:20.[54]bish·op·ric (

The task of translation was undertaken by 47 scholars, although 54 were originally approved.[10] All were members of the Church of England and all except Sir Henry Savile were clergy(Daniell 2003, p. 439)
    The new translation would reflect the episcopal structure of the Church of England and traditional beliefs about ordained clergy.[9](Daniell

2003, p. 439)

e·pis·co·pal

/i'pisk?p?l/

Adjective
    1. Of a bishop or bishops.
    2. (of a church) Governed by or having bishops.

Weymouth New Testament
    "For it is written in the Book of Psalms, "'Let his encampment be desolate: let there be no one to dwell there'; and "'His work let another take up

For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.~~ KJV

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

soontobe: "If it's such a great translation, why don't they put the names in the translation? Other bibles have it, and you can check the qualifications of the people who did it."

MsD: "Those who were responsible for the KJV translation weren't trying to conceal their identity but whoever was responsible for the NWT obviously was."

Because the WTSociety applied their practice of anonymity they had in place to the NWT as well. To this day every WT publication is anonymous.

Dr. Walter E. Stuermann: "Since about the time of the beginning of Knorr's leadership (1942) all the publications of the Watchtower Society have been anonymous, including the volumes of their New World Translation of the Greek and Hebrew Scriptures." (University of Tulsa, OK) <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } A:link { so-language: zxx } -->

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit