India- The Maha Kumbh festival- the world's largest demonstration of faith

by fulltimestudent 12 Replies latest social current

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"Since the JWs were once claiming that Assembly organisation was evidence of Yahweh's superior spirit operating on the witnesses, can we now conclude from this festival, which has been operating at least from the 8th C. CE and which gives evidence of even greater deeds than the JW organisation that the spirit of the Hindu gods is much greater and much superior to Yahweh's puny efforts. "

Makes sense to me.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Does the Mahish have 37 purple and lime green Rolls-Royces in which to arrive before his adoring masses?

Does his security witch have access to strange Salmonella strains (and automatic weapons) to supress the resistant natural population?

I find this to be disgusting.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

James - one thing is sure - there's no way I'm getting into that water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClK3JI-sMkk

There is another video on Youtube, that shows dead bodies (likely incompletely burned bodies of the dead) bobbing about in a river(s). I didn't post that, simply because I can't verify whether it is a common occurence or whether its a collection of still shots built up over a period of time.

Incompletely cremated bodies are a problem though, as poorer people can't buy enough fuel. This happened to an Australian missionary in Cambodia. His partner died of a sudden infection, and the tropical climate demands quick disposal. Generous mummy watchtower had not provided funds for such a contingency,and the survivor did not have enough money to buy sufficient wood for the cremation. So the body kept rolling out of the fire and this poor guy had to keep pushing the body back into the fire with a stick.

He came back to Australia having an emotional collapse. Much more to that story, but that's enough to illustrate the role of fuel in cremation. I suspect that in India, since the practise is to push the ashes into the river, that incompletely burnt corpses are routinely pushed into the river to decompose.

As to your comment on wealthy religious leaders, (FTS switches on his sardonic voice) - Isn't that what religion is for? To make the spiritual leaders wealthy in some way?

I quote Karl Marx (in a fuller version)...

(quote)

The foundation of irreligious criticism is: Man makes religion, religion does not make man. Religion is, indeed, the self-consciousness and self-esteem of man who has either not yet won through to himself, or has already lost himself again. But man is no abstract being squatting outside the world. Man is the world of man - state, society. This state and this society produce religion, which is an inverted consciousness of the world, because they are an inverted world. Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d'honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification. It is the fantastic realization of the human essence since the human essence has not acquired any true reality. The struggle against religion is, therefore, indirectly the struggle against that world whose spiritual aroma is religion.

Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit