Menlo Park Legal Advisor Tells All

by Juan Viejo2 39 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Someone sent me a link to the AnonInsurrection YouTube page. I found eleven videos documenting an interview with the legal advisor for the former Menlo Park Kingdom Hall elders.

You can find them here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSzmu_qv0DGtCo2WL5bnJdX12nY2_cmOO .

I've also published the entire set of eleven along with my comments on Ex-JW.com. You can connect via the home page or at this link:

http://ex-jw.com/menlo-park-legal-advisor-tells-his-story

Although I was closely involved with the Menlo Park story for several months and wrote several articles here and on Ex-JW.com, my access to the actual individuals involved was extremely limited. I did have one contact that I was able to speak to on several occasions and actually did meet someone directly involved, but none of the principals. That was very frustrating for me.

While I was following the case, I was in contact with one of the local reporters mentioned in the videos. While there may have been more going on after I was communicating with her, I know for a fact that she was far more frustrated by the plaintiffs and their legal advisor (John Steele) who is the subject of these videos. She tried to get them to meet with her several times. I found her very open to telling their story, but after weeks of trying to connect directly with those involved and not being able to put her story together, she told me that her editor told her to pull off the story. Mr. Steele tells a somewhat different story about the Watchtower influencing and threatening her editor. That is possible and I do not discount the effects of such corporate threats against a small community newspaper, I have my doubts.

Likewise with larger San Francisco newspapers. I contacted reporters as well, trying to get someone interested in this case. In each case a reporter took the information, promised to follow up on the case, and said they would contact me if and when something was published. The truth is that reporters rarely contact their tipsters unless the tipster is also closely involved in the case, which I was not. As far as I know, nothing was ever published.

I did contact one reporter a second time and was told that the story was turned over to one of their "courthouse reporters" who covered the Federal Courthouse in SF. He said that it would be unlikely to get much coverage because there were always bigger stories going on and stories had to be chosen based on national and regional importance. He didn't think a little fight over a property deed would fit into that category.

This might appear in other websites and possible even here on JWN. I believe my tipster about the videos may be broadcasting this YouTube collection widely. If this ends up being a duplicate, please forgive me.

BTW - I've never had the honor, in spite of my reporting and support for the former elders of Menlo Park, to meet John Steele or the primary plaintiffs in this case. At least I get to hear his story on video.

JV

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I just watched these videos. I was not suprised, which is strange. Maybe I am just getting numb to it all, I don't know anymore. I want the truth to come out more than I can say. I also cannot believe no one else has commented on this subject. It is incredible. Thanks JV.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I watched the first video, and it didn't give any details about the alleged money laundering. That makes me wonder why. I also wonder about the credibility of someone who misspells words like testimony on a very public venue such as You Tube.

• trujw
    trujw

OK I am sorry but this is so six screens. I listened and google and yahoo are giving the WT emails?? The clerks are forging documents?? They are followed and their phones are tapped. I guess I need to read the actual court doc's cause this is way out their 911 type weirdo stuff. I dont think the police FBI and the whole world is trying to cover WT stuff up or are some how paid off. If I am wrong give me written facts from court doc's to read and I will be back on board.

• trujw
    trujw

If I linked this to JW's they would think I am crazy and I am a full blown apostate and I think this is crazy talk. Maybe next time let me be legal council.

• trujw
    trujw

Sorry to keep posting but most elders I know can't follow a logical argument let alone me and tap my phone.

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Hola Juan Viejo, what is the legal basis the former elders in Menlo Park are using to reclaim the Kingdom Hall? We know why they created several layers of corporations before the Twentieth Century ended, to protect their assets.

I know how hard they work to keep the money, a congregation would be dissolved before they let the property leave their greedy hands.

• trujw
    trujw

Here are the facts on 4-18-11 a grant deed was filed by Ernest Brede & Luis Contreras it was a change of corporation of Menlo Park congo of JW's to the English Congregation of JW's, Menlo park CA inc. So yes their is something going on this in public record for anyone to check Doc# 2011-044636 San Mateo

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

trujw and Arboles -

If you go to the links I've provided you'll find PDF versions of most of the court filings and testimony for the original federal court case and also the state court case.

If you read the article where the elder (Jason Cobb) gives his deposition for the federal case you will get all of the facts from the very beginning to almost the end.

I also have PDF version of the second federal case, but much of what they have to say is similar to what was covered in the first two cases. There is more about the alleged involvement of the court clerks and the bank employees. I will eventually post those as well. That particular case was "withdrawn" by the plaintiffs after it was moved from San Jose to San Francisco Courts.

JV

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

I'd also like to point out that even though I was covering this case on Ex-JW.com, I received no support from the plaintiffs or "John Steele" - the legal advisor on this case.

I did have a contact who was close to the case, but not a JW and not one of the plaintiffs. He was very helpful and kept me in the loop as he could. I might mention that this person found himself and his family in great risk and placed in threatening situations on several occasions. I know that "John Steele" and one of the plaintiffs also felt personally threatened and had to leave the Bay area for a time due to fear for their safety.

In addition to the one contact I had mentioned above, I also received anonymous emails and phone calls from members of the Menlo Park Kingdom Hall and those close to them - plus some from nearby Kingdom Halls. There were a few from that area that post here regularly (you know who you are - and thank you!!!) that also fed me information.

The problem from a journalistic point of view is that unless I could communicate directly with the plaintiffs and their legal advisor, everything I reported (other than the public domain court documents) was "hearsay." There is nothing so frustrating for a reporter than to be unable to interview the princiipals in a story. As I mentioned before, that is why the local reporter following this case was pulled off the story by her editor after many weeks of following the story.

Once again I would suggest that anyone here that has an interest in this story should go to Ex-JW.com and read all of the articles and court documents I've provided. I guarantee that you will learn enough about what happened there during 2010-2012 to decide for yourself if the case the elders put forth at great risk to themselves and their families had any merit - or not.

I also heard from dozens of contacts around the US that similar situations occured in their Kingdom Halls. But in all of those cases the elders simply rolled over and took the Watchtower's demands and gave up the rights and equity of the local congregation members. They all felt that they had no choice and did not want to face the possibility of losing their elder positions or being disfellowshipped as was the case with the three elders in Menlo Park that took a stand.

JV

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit