I bought my 9 year old a Porsche 911.

by Defianttruth 14 Replies latest social family

• Defianttruth
    Defianttruth

It sounds a lot cooler than what it is. It is a 1990 964 model that needs some tlc. I think this will be great she and I working on the weekends to build what will become her ultimate expression of teenaged freedom. (Somewhat daddy is an electrical engineer the car will be wired) I also liked the porsche because of the limited room in the back seats. Ive been in a few of those on late nights. This will be frame off reconstruction to include powdered coating on suspension pieces and frame and body coated with protective polymers to ensure a long time of driving. I am even thinking about building my own custom fuel injection system based of off a thin client with wireless tracking, fuel mixing, and top velocities for the device. It will have the ability to show me what road she is on and how fast she drove on it. It will also measure gs in gos, stops, and turns. I have an Indian friend writing the code for it now. It will also be able to detect problems and send me a msg to my phone for g level. post gs, temp, and oil pressures, So, I can tell her to turn the car off. I could even do it in an emergency. In a car jacking I could turn the car off myself with no help from agencies. I think this would be a perfect first driver for a teenage girl. I also think the next seven years will give us lots of time getting to know each other in a stress free environment. She has already talked about becoming a mechanical engineer. How big of a lead would she have by already have been doing it for the past few years. It would look good on a job resume to for a job at porsche. She is smart and beautiful. Girls like that get jobs quick in places like that. Has anyone else done a complete project like that with their kids? I'm hoping this will be fun. She sits in the car now and pretends to drive.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Awesome. Great for your daughter. Porsches are a favorite of mine. New code and wiring, omg. I do my own auto repair, but nothing on that level (i don't have a porsche). I use alldata. Have you thought of doing a blog w pics on the project? There are other porsche afficianados.

S

• zeb
    zeb

well done DAD!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Go for it, dad! When dad and I worked on a project together, he'd get redder and redder around the collar and his instructions would get more and more abrupt. Little girls don't hold their end up as good as a solid vise.

• Defianttruth
    Defianttruth
    I'm pretty laid back, and so is she. I think this could be the old car she hangs on to a long time. Something she made with her own hands. Something she will remember when I'm gone. The car would be part her and it would be part me. She could use it as Something to teach the kids one day how to drive a stick, and talk about me when I'm gone.
  • brinjen
    brinjen

You are one awesome parent!

• Defianttruth
    Defianttruth

Satanus: The idea of creating a thin client computer control model for older cars was thought up by my Indian friend and while we were in college. Think about how far your cell phone has come in the past 20 years. The progress your desk top has made. I am completely amazed at the computer control system in my Prius. So here's the dilemma. A person drives a 25 year old classic car and he or she is driving around with some very antiquated technology. With a very solid built thin client and wiring harness, we can bring all the new of modern cars into a small device that is incorporated into the computer control system for the car (Heart). Its easy to buy new tires, piston, cranks, and other parts for your car. We want to be able to convert an old car into a new one and make it cost under 200 dollars. Especially with a cell network access, you are taking your classic into the future. We could even access your home WiFi when the car was parked at your house. Run diagnoses everyday and update the software to continue the modernization of your classic to insure reliability, performance, and environmental impact, for a small monthly fee.

We are also looking at another unit for fleet cars and basing it off of the HUMS system used in aircraft. Again basing the tech off of a small modern computing system. Mainly for large trucks. We could incorporate legal logbook requirements, engine monitoring, fuel consumption, speed control, and other issues that commercial trucking companies have to deal with in a small integrated control unit mounted in the cab. It could be seen as spying, but how nice would it be to say in court, "No, we were not speeding and we were within our legal SOP as a commercial carrier at the time of the accident and here is the undeniable truth" Now trucks are limited to top speeds by thier computer for every geographical situtation. This system will force the driver to do the speed limit for what ever road the truck is on, the time of day, and condition of the road. Who knows with the proper push we could make this technology required on all new commercial trucks"

http://www.aviationtoday.com/am/categories/bga/76.html#.UPl7PKWjJ0g

• james_woods
    james_woods

This will be frame off reconstruction

Porsche 911s are unit body - they do not have a separate frame.

• St George of England
    St George of England

This sounds like one of those parents who buy their kids a great electric train set.......................

George

PS On a practical note, is a Porker really the ideal car for a 17 year old new driver? Here in the UK I think you would have some difficulty getting it insured for her. Certainly at a realistic premium.

• Defianttruth
    Defianttruth

James, all cars have frames. The term unibody means the car's body serves as some frame work of the car and not a typical boxed or tube frame running the full length of the car. However, in all cars some tube or boxed framing is used. The 911 has 4 subframes assemblies made of tubed and boxed metals. One could probably count the torsion bar assembly as another. On a positive note, I got to use the word "assembly" in the fun, non-JW use of the word.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit