Boundary Changes for Congregations and Secrecy

by Vienna Angelika 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Vienna Angelika
    Vienna Angelika

Right now the congregations in Winnipeg are undergoing major boundary changes which will be put in action at the beginning of February. Our congregation is supposed to find out today but I decided to ask some people I knew who went the previous meeting if we were going to be put together with the people at our old congregation who are shunning me. Even though they knew, they refused to tell me because "the society" told them not to tell us. It wasn't a big deal to me because I was going to find out soon enough anyways, but it was the principle of it. On top of that, I was told there was a HUGE talk that kept drilling in the point of obeying and going to whatever congregation we were told to go to no matter what the circumstances! What if going to a certain congregation is hindering your spirituality?! Anyways, I will hear it first hand tonight and I will probably follow up on this.

• Vienna Angelika
    Vienna Angelika

I agree there has to be some sort of organizing of congregations, but it justgets ridiculous

• sir82
    sir82

Sounds like the congregations are shrinking up there. True?

there was a HUGE talk that kept drilling in the point of obeying and going to whatever congregation we were told to go to no matter what the circumstances!

I wouldn't worry about it too much. JWs seem to have a sixth sense of which stuff they can "get away with" and which stuff they can't.

Bang the hot pioneer sister? - can't get away with that.

Save seats for 60 of your closest friends at the convention? - can get away with that

Get drunk and puke on the floor during the wedding dance? - can't get away with that.

Hop around to different congregations way outside your "assigned" one, as many times as you like? - can get away with that.

• Vienna Angelika
    Vienna Angelika

Yes they are shrinking. Everyone is dying! Our old congregation was made up of 90% seniors!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Listen, Obey and Be Blessed!

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition
    Yes they are shrinking. Everyone is dying! Our old congregation was made up of 90% seniors!

I gave a talk away at a congregation in a rural area. It looked like a AARP meeting.

• hoser
    hoser

Same story in Calgary and Edmonton

• blondie
    blondie

I was in a congregation that reorganized, sending all the elders, MS, regular pioneers to congregations in whose territory they lived, no discussion if they wanted to keep their positions. For the rest it was up to their personal decision but no hope for being appointed anything. Family members groveled/begged when it affected their employment so they could stay elders or MS. In one case they split up the family that had given rides to an older sister and family without transportation and left it up to the latter to find an alternative. Problems from this arbitrary rule setting and lack of love had long-term effects.

*** km 11/02 p. 7 Question Box ***

What are the advantages of attending the congregation that holds the territory where we live?

Through the congregation arrangement, we receive encouragement ‘inciting us to love and fine works.’ (Heb. 10:24, 25) Through the congregation we learn the truth and are equipped to fulfill our assignment to make disciples. (Matt. 28:19, 20) We are also strengthened to endure trials faithfully and are provided with loving overseers to help us cope with mounting pressures and anxieties. Clearly, the congregation is vital to our spiritual survival. However, are there advantages in attending the congregation that holds the territory where we live?

Individual circumstances vary, and such factors as secular employment, an unbelieving mate, and transportation may affect one’s final decision in this regard. Yet, there are definite advantages, both spiritual and otherwise, when a person associates with the congregation holding the territory where he lives. The elders may be able to get in touch with all the publishers more quickly in cases of emergency. Past Question Boxes have highlighted a number of other advantages.—May 1991, March 1976, and January 1967.

Generally, it is more convenient to attend meetings nearby, allowing us to arrive early enough to speak with others, care for necessary matters, and share in the opening song and prayer. When newly interested ones live in our neighborhood, we are usually in a better position to reach them, conduct Bible studies with them, and direct them to the meetings most convenient for them.

We are confident that family heads will prayerfully consider this matter, weighing all the factors involved in determining what is best for the spiritual and physical welfare of their family.—1 Tim. 5:8.

*** km 5/91 p. 7 Question Box ***

hy is it recommended that publishers serve with the congregation that holds the territory where they live?

It is important to do things in an orderly and theocratic way. The apostle Paul wrote: “For God is a God, not of disorder, but of peace. . . . Let all things take place decently and by arrangement.”—1 Cor. 14:33, 40.

While there may be some exceptions because of transportation difficulties, secular work schedules, or the need for assistance in oversight, generally it is best to attend the congregation in whose territory we live. This makes field service more convenient, and we do not have to travel so far to work with a group outside our neighborhood. It puts us in a better position to work with others in our congregation and to direct newly interested ones to the meetings most convenient to them. And it keeps us in close touch with other brothers and sisters in our area who can help us in time of need.

By working submissively within the arrangements made, we show that we are keeping Kingdom interests first. (Luke 16:10) When a new congregation is formed or Congregation Book Studies are rearranged, we may prefer to stay with certain friends. But by accepting the new arrangement, we can make new friends and widen out in our theocratic associations. Also, it is easier for the elders to shepherd the flock and improve the spiritual condition of the congregation when publishers live within the territory of the congregation with which they associate.

• Richard_I
    Richard_I

that, and how the manitoba district convention got switched from selkirk (SHITHOLE about 33km from winnipeg) to portage la praire (about 86km from winnipeg), someone at georgetown doesnt like winnipeg, methinks.

actually, this reminds me, one c.o. told a cong. i was in that its up to the family head to decide which congregation the family will attend, even if they are not in that cong's territory. everyone was surprised when this was said, because all past co's said you MUST ONLY be in the cong. in which territory you were assigned, even though many elders were exempt from this rule.

such stupid rules.

• blondie
    blondie

In my area they switched to a place 166 km away one way, a 2 hour drive to stay in hotels with bugs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit