Martial Arts?

by Godsendconspirator 14 Replies latest social physical

• Godsendconspirator
    Godsendconspirator

I have always had a love for martial arts (didn't know how to fight, just admire what the human body can do), but since Jdub-land banned it, I just kinda forgot about it. I admire Nate Quarry (an 'apostate' MMA fighter) and I have been boxing for a year now. I decided to switch over to Muay Thai. I took one class and I freaking love it!

Anybody else here so some form of martial arts?

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

I would have been all over this if I'd gotten out when I was younger. As it is, I tried taking Judo last year (thinking it was the lowest impact) and only went a couple months before joint pain and sprains caught up with me.

• blondie
    blondie

TAI CHI but most jws will tell you it is not a martial art

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

i hooked up with a great gym and coach on my thirteth birthday. did boxing, muay thai, grappling, lots of sparing and smokers. i would fight amatuer around here if i had the time. its all about the gym. once you find your home gym its great.

• Twitch
    Twitch

A bit of hapkido back in the day. Nothing formal or fancy, mostly joint manipulation/locks, a few throws and pins, basic self defense.

Tai chi is fascinating though. Should make the time...

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

School of hard knocks, U.S Navy Seal Fitness regimen and Jeet Kune Do ( the real stuff which is MMA in reality, ( or is MMA JKD?! mmmm..) not a bunch of dudes still trying to imitate Bruce and missing the point of JKD ) and boxing. I am getting older and physically just cannot keep the same schedule as I did 15 years ago. I use free weights and jump rope among other things. I would love to take some Muay Thai, or just sparr for fun with someone. Time constraints and finding a real workout partner are always a challenge. I usually lone-wolf it which has some advantages for focus and visualization. Still a living opponent is great for keeping you on your toes. Nothing is better that two guys punching eachother and having a good laugh.

• biometrics
    biometrics

I got called into the back room when I was 21 for going to a few martial arts classes. The elders asked a lot of questions on whether anything spiritual was done during training, then, when they got nowhere with that line of questinnig they went on to tell me how violent it is.

Got let off with a warning not to go there again.

• Pyramid Scheme
    Pyramid Scheme

Got let off with a warning not to go there again

You should have told them to get bent - its not a disfellowshipping offense.......you just can't have "privileges"....oh the humanity.

If I would have known that sooner, I would have joined a dojo when I was a kid.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Tai Chi is often considered the "mother" of the martial arts in some quarters, just not as practiced by grandma down the street.

Check this out:

Tai Chi Fighting

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is an awesome sweaty work-out. It's just grappling and submission holds, very technical and addictive, takes years to master with no phoney black-belts given. A good way to get your mind off JW crap.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit