The Worst Country On Earth To Be A Woman

by Bangalore 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I studied Indian civilization many years ago. The Indian government may be modern but tribal customs are still important. I have read of wife burnings. Someo f these women sincerely want to die. The Indian HP service rep may have asked to determine the appropriate manners. An Indian doctor told me only about a week ago that there is no word or concept for "thank you" in India. Older people are respected and rule not because they are wise, nice, or have earned their dues. They are at the top of the pyramid. People younger than you can be ordered around. I would think that HP would want some uniformity and American slant with their products.

My prof. worked with the UN for a while. She said she saw thousands of people starving during a severe drought. The United States donated wheat. We have lots of wheat available to give away. The region was composed of rice eaters. They starved rather than eat wheat.

It must be one thing to read these accounts and another to witness it on the ground.

I recall when they were trying very hard to make birth control available. The doctors had the pills strung together and color coded the pills. When the doctors returned, the locals were wearing the birth control pills as necklaces.

Has anyone here been to India?

• on the rocks
    on the rocks

I am from India born and raised in India.

In another thread I mentioned the social problem India faces and how women are discriminated even before they are born.

But I would disagree with the way the media is projecting that its the worst place to live in the whole world.

There have been many changes in the last 3 decades...in each and every field women are progressing in India..we have had women Prime Minister(head of state),women as president and some of the states are ruled and headed by women... currently 5-6 Indian women in the most powerful women in the world list.

Improvement is definitely needed...but its not as bad as it is made out to be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit