Sometimes sorry isn't enough...

by cedars 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

I thought you might like to see a rare example of the Society saying the actual word "sorry" in the literature.

In 1992 someone wrote in to the Awake! and their comment was published in the July 8th edition in the "From Our Readers" section, page 30.

Their comment read as follows...

"Your suggestion that sex education be considered a 'family secret' could accidentally result in great difficulty for some of your readers. Social workers, teachers, nurses, and other professionals are now trained to watch for signs of child abuse. The word 'secret' when used by a child is one such sign, inasmuch as many sex abusers tell children to keep the abuse a secret."
    E. R. N., United States

The Society responded as follows...

"Quite a few readers called this to our attention, and we are sorry if we caused any alarm among readers sensitive to the issue of child abuse. We believe it is a point well taken. To avoid possible misunderstandings, it might be best if parents described sexual matters as being 'private' instead of 'secret.'—ED."

This exchange was prompted by an article in the 22nd Feb 1992 Awake which read, in part...

"Many parents feel that their children should have a basic understanding of these things at least before they start school, where they may hear much less accurate information from other children.
    A grandfather explained: 'I had asked no questions, but when I was six years old, my father decided that it was time to explain where babies came from. He said that the sexual union of a man and a woman that might produce a baby was just as natural as eating, but God said that this was only for people who were married. Thus, there would be both a mother and a father to love the child and take care of it.' This grandfather added: 'The explanation he gave was just in time. I had already seen six-year-olds laughing about immoral pictures they drew that I did not understand.'
    Of course, such explanations should be presented, not as something shameful, but as something private. You can repeat that it is a family secret that should not be mentioned to other children or to people outside the family. If your child slips in this regard, you can gently say: 'Shhh! Remember, that is our secret. We talk about it only in the family.'"

Watchtower apologists would likely point to the written apology as evidence of great humility on the part of the Slave Class. After all, they have condescended to use the word "sorry" in acknowledgment of a dreadful and short-sighted mistake on their part, i.e. recommending that parents describe conversations with children regarding sex as a "family secret."

But is the word "sorry" enough when you are an organization that claims to be God's channel of communication with mankind?

In 1992, the same year as this apology, the Society published the following statement in the Watchtower of March 15th, page 21.

"We will also increase our joy if we prayerfully and diligently study God’s spirit-inspired Word and Christian publications prepared under the spirit’s guidance."

Cedars

• wasblind
    wasblind

" Shhhh, remember that's our secret "

That's what Pedo's say to children they abuse don't they ????

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Wow. That's quite the quote, Cedars. Shows their complete lack of knowledge and understanding when it comes to matters of child abuse.

• nugget
    nugget

Just the one sorry then. Congratulations on finding it shame there aren't more.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

creepy as hell

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Wow. That's quite the quote, Cedars. Shows their complete lack of knowledge and understanding when it comes to matters of child abuse.

The moral of this story is that anyone who went to college for even a year or two and took Psych 101 would have learned studied in the first chapter about abuse issues. Sorry, but avoiding an education may "protect" you from the world, but it also isolates you from everything in it. Good and bad. And unfortunately, some of the bad things can hurt you or your loved ones if you are ignorant about them so you damn well better learn about them enough to protect yourself.

Doc

• zeb
    zeb

mamochan13.

shows their complete absence of understanding of children!

But none of the residence of any bethel monastery ever had kids did they!

• l p
    l p

I guess Unky PunkofNice is right. The writers are child abusers.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Bunch of weenies!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Good point. I think so many of us have left because we could clearly see the brothers were making too many changes and mistakes in their literature. A big one for me was Jesus describing his yoke as kindly and light, yet the load the governing body placed on us was so heavy that many were caving physically and mentally under it. Another thing for me was how closely the organization mirroed the Pharisees, yet they mentioned them often and told us not to be like them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit